QLD DVO against ex who is using social media to intimidate me.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Xena The Warrior Princess

3 June 2018
Can't comment on any CCC investigations, or 60 minutes (don't watch it) but I can say that the whole manner & process of family violence orders need a serious review. Not only so that the people who desperately need protection get it without police & court resources being wasted on frivolous & vexatious claims of FV, but also bring those who are found to be abusing the process under some consequence...

Good to hear that you are finally getting some attention from police & that charges are likely to follow.

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a phone call while I was working (we are not allowed to have a phone with us on duty). The police officer left the voice mail stating that my ex admitted that he breached the DVO and that he's been charged and is going to court on the 14th of August. I am not sure what the charges are going to be but would appreciate your input Atticus. My grave concern is his newest threats on FB. I don't think he understands the seriousness of the charges.

Thanks in advance

Atticus

6 February 2019
As above comment ^^^^^^ Keep documenting the threats. Keep reporting them.

make sure police prosecution are made aware of the latest breaches prior to the August court date

Poidah

9 November 2017
Qld
Thanks Atticus.
It can be even more scary now that he has admitted to things. Things may go underground more and more violent as the result unfortunately. The court case and decision is only one step in the scheme of things. The system is keen to notice and to observe a change in his behaviour and level of threats. So if you stop reporting and stop documenting his threats, the system can perceive it to be that his behaviour has stopped or reduced or changed. It is important to keep persisting and to not let up.
Also any attitude change of his also needs to be backed up by a solid change of behaviour. Keep the skepticism up for at least six months to a year and more. Don't get sweet talked, then forget to report/document and let him get away with the same behaviour, especially when he is talking nice before and after the court case...

3 June 2018
Thanks Atticus.
It can be even more scary now that he has admitted to things. Things may go underground more and more violent as the result unfortunately. The court case and decision is only one step in the scheme of things. The system is keen to notice and to observe a change in his behaviour and level of threats. So if you stop reporting and stop documenting his threats, the system can perceive it to be that his behaviour has stopped or reduced or changed. It is important to keep persisting and to not let up.
Also any attitude change of his also needs to be backed up by a solid change of behaviour. Keep the skepticism up for at least six months to a year and more. Don't get sweet talked, then forget to report/document and let him get away with the same behaviour, especially when he is talking nice before and after the court case...

Hi Poidah

I agree with you, this is the latest I would say threat: "
Get behind me Satan.
Destroy the toxicity in my life. Wreak havoc, crush, kill, destroy. Help me remove the toxic s**t under my shoes. I request your help. I denounce everything. Get behind me Satan. Together we can sort this and leave. I give my heart and soul to the dark one. Let the chips fall and the blood flow. GIVE ME STRENGTH TO CARRY ON AND THE POWER TO DESTROY. HAIL SATAN. HAIL SATAN. HAIL SATAN." I am really concerned now, even more, that the house has been sold and he has to move out, and of course, I am the main reason for his fall as I was paying the mortgage for two years for him to live for free, and the court made a decision for me to stop paying it. Now I am really scared as I know him, he is going to kill me for sure. I am not running away any more, I am tired of his threats and living in someone else's places in order to have dissent sleep. There is nothing more I can do, I made wrong choices putting up with this man for so long. The price must be high for this man, otherwise, he is not going to be happy if he doesn't succeed

Les Winter

17 June 2020
Does this Help ? I am aware of a guy who got prison time for using FaceBook to post obscenities about his ex-wife using the below criminal charge..

The Offence Of Use Carriage Service To Menace, Harrass, Offend
The offence of Use Carriage Service to Menace, Harass or Offend is contained in section 474.17 of the Criminal Code contained in schedule one of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) and states:

• A person commits an offence if:
    • The person uses a carriage service; and
    • The person does so in a way (whether by the method of use or the content of a communication, or both) that reasonable persons would regard as being, in all the circumstances, menacing, harassing or offensive.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 3 years.

3 June 2018
Does this Help? I am aware of a guy who got prison time for using FaceBook to post obscenities about his ex-wife using the below criminal charge.

The Offence Of Use Carriage Service To Menace, Harrass, Offend
The offence of Use Carriage Service to Menace, Harass or Offend is contained in section 474.17 of the Criminal Code contained in schedule one of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) and states:

• A person commits an offence if:
    • The person uses a carriage service; and
    • The person does so in a way (whether by the method of use or the content of a communication, or both) that reasonable persons would regard as being, in all the circumstances, menacing, harassing or offensive.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 3 years.

This all will depend on the judge, and if they bring up his drug charges to a count

3 June 2018
A quick question for all of you who were following this thread: if someone doesn't turn up to court for the above reasons (being charged by the police for contravention of the DVO) what would be the outcome? I believe that person moved to another stated, and I am not sure if the person is ever going to attend the court

Atticus

6 February 2019
if someone doesn't turn up to court for the above reasons (being charged by the police for contravention of the DVO) what would be the outcome? I believe that person moved to another stated,

*Possible* outcomes ....

A bench warrant is issued for arrest

If the respondent is interstate & is affected by border restrictions, as long as the court is notified, probably an adjournment to a later date to either, conduct a audio/video link hearing, or just another hearing date

3 June 2018
The court was not notified, this came through his lawyer as an update regarding the settlement, the borders are not closed so I believe he moved down south. I believe that he won't even turn up to a court for the settlement as he didn't for 3 times already, just to make me keep on paying for everything. I am not sure what will happen next but I appreciate any thought on this Atticus, thanks