QLD DVO against ex who is using social media to intimidate me.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Xena The Warrior Princess

3 June 2018
I have a DVO against my ex, which has been adjusted in court as he was using a FB (social media platform) to intimidate me and he is constantly placing ultimatums for me to reach him, my late fathers photos and defamation of my personality. He never used my name, just hints and, all were directed at me, as he was placing the picture of my father under his statements about me. Is there a breach in place? Should I contact the police as this is been going on for quite some time now?
Please I need advice as I just lost my mother recently and I am dealing with lot's of grief and I certainly don't know if I could see the picture of my dead parent used to intimidate and bully me any further in life.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, the cops will want to know that you've tried to block him on fb. Is he making new accounts just to appear on your possible friends list?

And take a photo of the screen with the image of your dad. Take it to the cop shop and ask the cops to deal with it.

3 June 2018
I am not the one who can see it. Some of my friends took snaps and send it to me. I blocked him on every level 2 years ago, but he is still doing it even though that I am not interested in him not even remotely, but I had enough this time that my late father's picture has been used like this on social media. So I should go to show all these posts/snapshots to the police?

sammy01

27 September 2015
two contradictory thoughts. But has the avo expired?
1. Ignore Ignore Ignore. See he wants your attention. He wants to know that he got to you. The problem here is if the avo has expired, this isn't enough to in my opinion. To get a new one.
2. Go to the cops. My problem here is they might not do anything other than call him? He gets away with it with the cops / he wins... Go back to thought 1.

3 June 2018
1. Ignore Ignore Ignore. See he wants your attention. He wants to know that he got to you. The problem here is if the avo has expired, this isn't enough to in my opinion. To get a new one.
2. Go to the cops. My problem here is they might not do anything other than calling him? He gets away with it with the cops / he wins... Go back to thought 1.
The DVO is for 5 years and there are for another 3 years to go. I am in QLD.

3 June 2018
2. Go to the cops. My problem here is they might not do anything other than call him? He gets away with it with the cops / he wins... Go back to thought 1.
I have sent you personal message

3 June 2018
So when was it adjusted & what does it say exactly regarding what he is restricted from doing on social media?
the original one was on the 11th of June 2018 and the varied protection order was on the 23 July 2018
(9) The respondent is prohibited from using the internet or any other communication device (including social networking sites) to communicate with, publishing pictures of or make comments concerning the aggrieved

He was giving me an ultimatum to contacting him or he is going to ruin my life, my finances (as he did, I was paying for his and my mortgage for 2 years, and I stopped as the judge stated that his property has to go into trustees hands to be sold, he was behind, as he never participated in paying at all) and that I need to behave otherwise.....these sort of messages he was placing on his FB page

Mind you, the police here is corrupt and my injuries were dismissed when I charged him for grievous bodily harm and my daughter charged him for assault as she was only 16 at the time, he sent me in my old messenger message that all is a lie and it was dismissed with sarcasm. I know that I should go to the police right there, but I chose not to, I wanted all this to be behind me so I can move on and live my life. But when he placed a picture of my late father, that was a last straw for me to handle.

I just need some sort of guidance here. I've been brave for this long

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Atticus

6 February 2019
The respondent is prohibited from using the internet or any other communication device (including social networking sites) to communicate with, publishing pictures of or make comments concerning the aggrieved
So fairly standard restrictions ....

He is being a complete twit. Probably thinks he is ever so clever by getting a rise out of you without 'technically' breaching the DVO... Problem for him is that his behavior whilst maybe only borderline breaching, shows that he is still not getting the intent of the order, or possible consequences of breaching ....

While there is something to be said for ignoring twits who delight in getting a rise out of you, there are those that will up the ante if they DON'T get a rise .... It sounds like you have been doing your best to ignore & perhaps that is why this is now happening here with him posting pictures that he knows are an emotional trigger for you ... Bottom line is he needs to be pulled into line & shown that his smartassery may cost him...

I would be saving any screen shots & wouldn't hesitate to take them to police.... At the very least they will invite him to the station for a talk.. If they find there is a breach, well that's a criminal offense... Who's laughing now.. At the least he will be on notice to stop being a twit & pushing boundaries

3 June 2018
People who were sending me these screenshots are reporting him as they are a concern for my wellbeing. If I do that, he might think he won again, getting to me either way. This is not the first time that he did this to me, and police here is so corrupt. I am not holding my breath that anything is going to prevent him from cyberbullying me. I had to stand strong. My court date, regarding the property that was once owned by him, is on the market right now, and it is on the 25th of May. Should I bring all the screenshots to the court and show it to them? Would that have any positive outcome on that day, as he lost his lawyer due to lying to him about the settlement and the DVO?

My lawyer keeps on telling me to ignore it, but I honestly think that this needs to be addressed and pointed out that he aims to destroy what is left of me. If all this makes any sense to you. I am opened to any thoughts/advice.