NSW How to Get Ex to Do DNA Testing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ChloeG

9 March 2017
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me. Sorry this is very long winded. but I am really struggling to get anywhere.

I am from the UK and I lived in Sydney, Australia for 3.5 years from February 2012-August 2015. The last 18 months of my travels, I was with an Australian man. We tried for a baby for about 6 months and I finally fell pregnant. Unfortunately, my partner was not supportive and quickly turned against me.

So I flew back to England to be with my family. We said we would stay in contact and I would fly back to Australia once our son was born.

I quickly found out after getting back to England that he had a new partner. He instantly blocked me off all social media and changed his contact number and moved house. However I do have his new address.

Since being back in England I have had a constant battle on my hands. My son's father is constantly denying paternity by refusing to do a DNA test. I have even gone to his mother and offered a grandparent DNA test but again...once the ball gets rolling they cut me off and ignore me.

My ex just won't let me do a DNA test.

I have sought legal advice, but because of the long distance, no one will help me. Family court, solicitors and lawyers all say they can't do anything and he cannot be forced to do a DNA testing.

I have been suffering with severe depression and I really believe that this is the main cause. I need closure and answers.

Hope to hear back from someone.

Kind regards

sammy01

27 September 2015
OK - so you could come to Australia, get a solicitor file for a court case to force him to do DNA. You win. But you have to spend tens of thousands along the way.

So he is the father according to DNA and you file for child support. What does he do for a living? The Australian Child Support Agency is pretty good, but if he is desperate to avoid paying, he will find a way.

So what do you need closure and answers about?

My thought - enjoy your child. Easy.

Fighting a legal battle that could take 2 years isn't gonna help with depression or anything else.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The biggest obstacle here is that you're not in Australia. If you were in Australia, we could definitely provide some guidance, but right now, you and your child are under UK family law, so we can't offer much to help you.

ChloeG

9 March 2017
Ok thank you everyone.

I have tried to come back to Australia but because I do not have support from my ex or his family immigration won't allow me back in at the moment, as I do not have the financial support etc. As you can imagine I am a single mum and am unemployed at the moment so I don't have any savings.

Anything I do have goes on my son.

I guess I just want to prove him wrong so I can lift my head high and show all these people he's lied to that I'm not a liar.. if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help. I am going to contact Australian high commission this afternoon and see why they suggest.

I'm just gutted because I still want to be able to come back to Australia for holidays etc which I was told would be fine before I left. Just seems like that isn't possible now.

I absolutely loved it there and I only came back to England because of a complicated pregnancy back in 2011 which resulted in my first little boy dying. I purely came back for family support.

Thank you