QLD DVO against ex who is using social media to intimidate me.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
Look I'd encourage you to go to the cops, ask to speak to a dv officer. Push them to take it seriously. I don't think the cops are corrupt. I think they're lazy.

Reactions: Dpj

Xena The Warrior Princess

3 June 2018
So fairly standard restrictions ....

He is being a complete twit. Probably thinks he is ever so clever by getting a rise out of you without 'technically' breaching the DVO... Problem for him is that his behavior whilst maybe only borderline breaching, shows that he is still not getting the intent of the order, or possible consequences of breaching ....

While there is something to be said for ignoring twits who delight in getting a rise out of you, there are those that will up the ante if they DON'T get a rise .... It sounds like you have been doing your best to ignore & perhaps that is why this is now happening here with him posting pictures that he knows are an emotional trigger for you ... Bottom line is he needs to be pulled into line & shown that his smartassery may cost him...

I would be saving any screen shots & wouldn't hesitate to take them to police.... At the very least they will invite him to the station for a talk.. If they find there is a breach, well that's a criminal offense... Who's laughing now.. At the least he will be on notice to stop being a twit & pushing boundaries
would you recommend me anything else Atticus

Atticus

6 February 2019
would you recommend me anything else Atticus
No .... All you need do is get together any hard evidence you have, (like screen shots of his social media posts that include a pics of your dad for example)... take them along to your local police station & make a complaint about what he is doing... If you can take a friend with you that can verify the posts even better .... Up to the police then, but if a complaint of a breach has been made, & you have evidence to back it up, they *should* follow it up by asking him into a station for an interview .... Tell them you want to be kept informed of the outcome, & don't be afraid to call them after a week if you haven't heard anything .

3 June 2018
No .... All you need do is get together any hard evidence you have, (like screen shots of his social media posts that include a pics of your dad for example)... take them along to your local police station & make a complaint about what he is doing... If you can take a friend with you that can verify the posts even better .... Up to the police then, but if a complaint of a breach has been made, & you have evidence to back it up, they *should* follow it up by asking him into a station for an interview .... Tell them you want to be kept informed of the outcome, & don't be afraid to call them after a week if you haven't heard anything .
Thank you so much, I appreciate it. Happy Easter

3 June 2018
As for how you suggested, I have reported the breaches made by my ex. The police officer suggested that I remove myself from my home for a few days in case he lashes out, she even suggested going to women shelter. I refused as I believe they are more vulnerable women out there than myself who would benefit more than myself. A few days later, my ex sent me an email that he received from the banks and asking me to contact him. I went to the police to just find out that previous breaches I put in were not even looked at, so the police officer asked me to forward the email to her and take new screenshots with dates when they were placed on social media and email it to her. This time I was given the case number and promise that this time this is going to be finalised. My question here is, do I have rights to follow up on the case number I was given? Is he going to be charged as he breached the orders? I certainly, never got in touch with him as he was threatening me by stating that he is going to make my credit rating ruined and my life living hell. Is there any chance that some of you could give me some answers here and insight on how these laws are working in favour of aggrieved? Thanks

Atticus

6 February 2019
My question here is, do I have rights to follow up on the case number I was given?
Absolutely.... If nothing has happened in a week I would be insisting on taking the matter up with the stations most senior officer in charge
Is he going to be charged as he breached the orders?
Nobody here can give you a definitive answer to that... It really is up to the police if they find that a clear breach has occurred what action should be taken... Considering they are suggesting you seek a shelter "in case he lashes out" suggests to me that this is the kind of IVO that actually needs them to do whatever is in their powers to do to protect you

3 June 2018
Thank Atticus, I am going to ring them today and find out what has been done and what is their decision. It is clear he breached the orders, but as you said they need to make that decision themselves if that was a clear breach or they are or they are not going to act on it again. I am not holding my breath, if necessary I will hire a lawyer and see what can be done.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Out of curiosity, what can this ex husband do to make the ex wife aware of the bank situation (if it is a genuine issue), without breaching the AVO?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Out of curiosity, what can this ex husband do to make the ex wife aware of the bank situation (if it is a genuine issue), without breaching the AVO?

Just forwarding the email he has received to her (without any comment) shouldn't breach the order if it is something that she really needs to be made aware of..... Or even better, contact the bank & tell them to pass whatever the communication is directly to her