VIC Unsure about armour in public

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
25 January 2024
I’ve been looking everywhere online but no one seems to make it clear. I’m wondering if I’m allowed to wear a knight’s helmet and/or gauntlets in public and/or in private like at a friends house. These are made of 18 gauge steel. I’ve read that the police need to still be able to lethally shoot you whilst you are wearing the armour in order for it to be classified as legal, but I’m not sure whether that’s true or not but I do know that medieval armour wasn’t made to withstand bullets and can very easily be pierced by bullets.
Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You're looking for a way to be able say
"It's a medieval repro, not gang-banger-body armour,
so the bans don't apply".
--> Bit of yes, bit of no.

For statutory purposes, and what Constable Friendly will rely on
when you wear it in a food court or on a tram is
that it's body armour in terms of the Victorian Control of Weapons legislation .
Overall, because of the definition, armour is armour, no matter medieval or modern.
Makes no difference if it's medieval or modern design nor if medieval or modern manufacture.

That said, there are a number of circumstances where it's less likely to found an offence.
They would be the obvious... LARP (which is a sport), bona fide historical re-enacting,
recreational dressing ("cosplay"), bona fide theatrical use, and
when the "armour" is obviously a mere costume with no protective effect
(eg modern repro armour made of plastic not metal. That is not likely to meet the definition).

25 January 2024
You're looking for a way to be able say
"It's a medieval repro, not gang-banger-body armour,
so the bans don't apply".
--> Bit of yes, bit of no.

For statutory purposes, and what Constable Friendly will rely on
when you wear it in a food court or on a tram is
that it's body armour in terms of the Victorian Control of Weapons legislation .
Overall, because of the definition, armour is armour, no matter medieval or modern.
Makes no difference if it's medieval or modern design nor if medieval or modern manufacture.

That said, there are a number of circumstances where it's less likely to found an offence.
They would be the obvious... LARP (which is a sport), bona fide historical re-enacting,
recreational dressing ("cosplay"), bona fide theatrical use, and
when the "armour" is obviously a mere costume with no protective effect
(eg modern repro armour made of plastic not metal. That is not likely to meet the definition).
How does cosplay work for it, is it only at specific functions that outline it is a cosplay event or is it I can just dress up entirely in an outfit where the armour is a part of it and go where ever and say that it is a cosplay?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
How does cosplay work for it, is it only at specific functions that outline it is a cosplay event
A ticketed event? Less likely to be a problem.

As to the other stuff - proof context and purpose will lie with you.
The law here is quite complex. More to the point, the two-early career constables
who turn up in the food court after you smart-mouth the shopping centre security,
will probably not be interested in discussing it with you.
At least, not until you get back to the police station.

...or is it I can just dress up entirely in an outfit where the armour is a part of it and go where ever and say that it is a cosplay?
Nah. To that would negate the effect of the prohibition.
I suggest that you do as the knights did, and save the armour for the actual battlefield.