NSW Legality of nude photoshop of non nude public adult female photos.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Katejones

21 June 2021
I am asking about any possible legal concerns around the creation of nude images done by Photoshop of public online photos of adult 18+ women for example, in bikinis without knowledge or permission of the person being Photoshoped.

If you go online you can see a lot of celebrity "fakes" etc of turning images into nudity explicit ones.

So my question is what are the possible legal breaches, if any, that someone might face in Australia if a person was to take images of a public account whether they know them or not and request or edit themselves, nude photos excluding any sexual behavior with no details concerning identity. E.g name, location and so on.

Also who would be responsible for legal action if applicable. The person who has the photos and requests they be made nude for whatever reason or the person who creates the image via photoshop itself for the request or both.

I am not well versed in Australian law and am not biased towards this subject. I am just looking for an honest answer.

I have read that possibly defamation charges could result if the photos are used to harm or harass the person involved. But if they are kept private without the knowledge of the person in the photo and not used for commercial purposes, what then is the result ? Is it then viewed as an artistic parody or something along those lines that allows people to express what they want freely.

As the topic of whether or not a naked female body by itself is inherently viewed as sexual is a blurry subject. I am very interested to hear any legal opinions regarding this matter.

Thankyou.