Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Parenting or child rearing is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood. Parenting refers to the intricacies of raising a child and not exclusively for a biological relationship.The most common caretaker in parenting is the father or mother, or both, biological parent(s) of the child in question, although a surrogate may be an older sibling, a step-parent, a grandparent, a legal guardian, aunt, uncle or other family member, or a family friend. Governments and society may also have a role in child-rearing. In many cases, orphaned or abandoned children receive parental care from non-parent or non-blood relations. Others may be adopted, raised in foster care, or placed in an orphanage. Parenting skills vary, and a parent or surrogate with good parenting skills may be referred to as a good parent.Parenting styles vary by historical time period, race/ethnicity, social class, and other social features. Additionally, research supports that parental history both in terms of attachments of varying quality as well as parental psychopathology, particularly in the wake of adverse experiences, can strongly influence parental sensitivity and child outcomes.

View More On
  1. G

    Yet another parenting orders Q

    OK. So it never really ends, does it? It turns out that our parenting orders are just vague enough that there's some confusion about my time with the children over the Easter holidays. Here in Victoria at least, school holidays started on Friday 8th April. School officially goes back on Tuesday...
  2. C

    WA Renegotiate Parenting Plan

    We have a parenting plan which was agreed 12 months ago and is 50/50 time. On one of my days I have he children, I have been open to the OP request they can decide (3.5 and 7) where to be. Both are at school (kindy for the younger one). The OP wants to push towards a 75/25 as she finds the...
  3. JJ2022

    Can my ex's new partner be excluded from parenting arragements?

    We just separated and my kids don't want to spend time with his new partner. She was a secret affair, and they are 10, 12 and 14. So they feel a bit cheated on as well. She insists on being at every meeting with the kids. She walks 5 meters ahead of him to the meeting. He follows behind...
  4. S

    VIC Change of parenting plan

    My daughter's final parenting orders were finalised Nov 2018. Since that time there has been one a change by mutual agreement with more time allocated to my daughter. My 7 yr old granddaughter wants to live with my daughter full time which has been agreed by her ex partner & step mother . They...
  5. P

    NSW How do I walk away from parenting proceedings

    Hi, This is my first time posting so I hope I’m doing it correctly. I also apologise for the long post. As my username states I’m a broken man, I’ve lost everything, Ive lived in a deep depression and cried daily most of the past 2 years due to the actions of my ex wife. I’ve got two...
  6. D

    WA Does a Verbal parenting plan override a court order ( if the verbal has been followed for 2 years )

    I am looking to relocate ( 2 hours away ) and wish to revert back to my original court orders that were followed for 3 years. I had legal advice that my new verbal parenting plans supersedes the court order ( even though not signed ) as we had a new care roster for 2 years. Now I want to go...
  7. darasahl

    VIC What happens to an existing parenting plan after interim order being dropped?

    Hey guys, So I’ve got an interim order put on me from my ex in April. We had the directions hearing in July but she decided not to show up (she provided a reason that court accepted). Last year we went to mediation and agreed on a 50/50 parenting plan. Both the child and herself are on the...
  8. D

    VIC Return to shared parenting.

    Hello, I have 2 children with a former partner. Both children were removed from her care and placed with me 6 years ago. Now the 11-year-old wants to live with her mother again. I support this. There are no orders at all in place and the mother still has all parental rights. Can DHS punish me...
  9. O

    VIC Filing for court for Property Settlement + Parenting Order myself? De Facto relationship

    Hi all, I was in a De facto relationship for 8 years - partner and I just separated. One house, 2 young kids. She is dragging her feet to do the paperwork for the property settlement (she made me leave and kept everything), offered me like 6% of our assets, I asked for 40%. We've gone through...
  10. H

    NSW What is the correct process to have parenting orders revised?

    Can new orders be put forward via an initiating application to Family Court by the other party without even acknowledging or revising the current orders? I was under the impression that to vary current orders you had to prove to the court that there has been a significant change in circumstances...