WA Australian Federal Police - Can I File a FOI?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bhobby

22 January 2016
I'm pretty sure I'm being investigated by Australian federal police. I am wanting to find out if there's any way for me to find out if I am or if there was even a report made on me. So basically, can I ask them for the report or if there is a report, do they have to hand it over?

Can I file a FOI (freedom of information act) to see what they have on me? Or better yet, if someone can tell me in detail what the FOI will reveal if I file one?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Im pretty sure im being investigated by Australian federal police
Why?
And if you are, it might not be the AFP
I am wanting to find out if theres any way for me to find out if i am or if there was even a report made on me.
No.
so basically can I ask them for the report or if there is a report do they have to hand it over
No.
or 2 can i file a FOI (freedom of information act) to see what they have on me or better yet if someone can tell me in detail what the FOI will reveal if i file one.
No.

As a general thing, law enforcement related material is exempt from FOI.

Reactions: Bhobby

Bhobby

22 January 2016
Are they able to release my information to the public even if I have not been charged or anything, cause I think they have?

If I left the country, could they do anything about it?

I am not a bad person but, long story short, I was on the internet and I received warning from Interpol and ever since I've been noticing people following me and every day people recognising me by face cause I believe my former friend reported me to the police but they seemed to have backed off now. It's a weird situation.

Bhobby

22 January 2016
If my information was released by the police but I have no proof, is there a way to find out legally under Australian Law if they did?

I have my reasons to believe the police have released my information without me even being charged. Is there any way to find out?