LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

WA Australian Federal Police - Can I File a FOI?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Bhobby, 22 January 2016.

1. Bhobby

Bhobby Member

I'm pretty sure I'm being investigated by Australian federal police. I am wanting to find out if there's any way for me to find out if I am or if there was even a report made on me. So basically, can I ask them for the report or if there is a report, do they have to hand it over?

Can I file a FOI (freedom of information act) to see what they have on me? Or better yet, if someone can tell me in detail what the FOI will reveal if I file one?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

Why?
    And if you are, it might not be the AFP
    No.
    No.
    No.

As a general thing, law enforcement related material is exempt from FOI.

Bhobby likes this.
  3. Bhobby

Bhobby Member

Are they able to release my information to the public even if I have not been charged or anything, cause I think they have?

If I left the country, could they do anything about it?

I am not a bad person but, long story short, I was on the internet and I received warning from Interpol and ever since I've been noticing people following me and every day people recognising me by face cause I believe my former friend reported me to the police but they seemed to have backed off now. It's a weird situation.

4. Bhobby

Bhobby Member

If my information was released by the police but I have no proof, is there a way to find out legally under Australian Law if they did?

I have my reasons to believe the police have released my information without me even being charged. Is there any way to find out?