NSW Appeal of NCAT Financial Management Order / Post Hearing Options

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tomj101

22 September 2021
Dear Sirs,

A Financial Management Order (FMO), with the "NSW Public Trustee & Guardian" now taking control of my aunt's financial affairs, was the concluding decision from a two hour NCAT hearing on December 9th (last week). My cousin (affectionately known as "aunt" Jenny) has 28 days to appeal.

I would like to know what options exist to help my aunt since NCAT prevented the appointment of a Croatian-speaking solicitor to represent my aunt, and the proceeding was rushed near the end after the Legal-Aid-appointed solicitor (for my aunt) wanted the current session to end soon in order for her to attend another adjacent NCAT hearing. There were a lot things left unsaid hence leaving my vulnerable aunt (~85 years with early onset of dementia) in a precarious situation going forward. She believes she had no choice. However, I beg to differ. Hence, my post here for your kind opinions in this matter.

Post NCAT hearing, I also believe my aunt is now able to appoint an additional General Power of Attorney and General Guardian along-side the FMO, i.e. Based on my research, NCAT does not have jurisdiction over general PoA and general Guardianship appointments. Would this be a conflicting action?

Finally, what about a potential ademption problem?

Note, my aunt is also seeking legal assistance and is worried about her future.

Kind regards,
Tom

Attachments

• NCAT FMO Order2 - Redacted.pdf
    152.1 KB · Views: 2
  • NCAT Review Process - Jenny - Post Analysis - Redacted.pdf
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Ian Curtis

7 December 2016
Please contact me. Although not a lawyer I have a lot of experience with this as a victim of TAG and am an activist connected with many others. I know several people who succeeded in appointing a financial manager (still with oversight by TAG and an FMO in place) and am trying myself.