Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry, rewarding contributions to the arts and sciences, work with charitable and welfare organisations,
and public service outside the civil service. It was established on 4 June 1917 by King George V and comprises five classes across both civil and military divisions, the most senior two of which make the recipient either a knight if male or dame if female. There is also the related British Empire Medal, whose recipients are affiliated with, but not members of the order.
Recommendations for appointments to the Order of the British Empire were originally made on the nomination of the United Kingdom, the self-governing Dominions of the Empire (later Commonwealth) and the Viceroy of India. Nominations continue today from Commonwealth countries that participate in recommending British (Imperial) honours. Most Commonwealth countries ceased recommendations for appointments to the Order of the British Empire when they created their own honours.

View More On Wikipedia.org
  1. B

    QLD Need help responding to urgent Recovery order application

    Hi all, I currently have in my care 2 of my sons ( 13 and 14) who have expressed their desire to live with me for the time being as they were having issues and concerns at their mothers place. This has been the case for the last 5 weeks. The mother is fully aware of the situation and has been...
  2. J

    Protection Order

    Can you get a protection order if you told someone not to contact you (reported it to police earlier) but we received an email again 2 months later? The email was friendly and saying "hope you are doing well"?
  3. L

    NSW 13 year old will not go under a recovery order

    There is a recovery order to return my children to their older sister. My 13 year old is in fear of returning. He is threatening to run away. Can he refuse to go
  4. M

    QLD Order procedures

    Hello...couple of questions: 1. when do interim orders actually become effective? e.g. if everything is agreed on the day and Judge is simply awaiting a copy, but OP haven't finished "drafting / writing up" 2. how long do you get to "draft/write" them up post hearing date? And do they have to...
  5. L

    VIC Restitution Order in Criminal case

    Hi, I wanted to ask, when a restitution order is imposed alongside criminal conviction for obtaining property by deception, can the individuals family/wife/husband be liable to pay if the individual cannot pay. To be slightly clearer, does it matter what the individuals partner may have in...
  6. alexander_0608

    QLD How challenging is it to succeed in obtaining a restraining order against the suspect harassing me?

    Firstly, thank you for the help you are providing us all on this forum. My situation is perhaps unique in the way that the suspect in a Brisbane resident but I am in the US. I have been a victim of continuing harassment from a Queensland resident, an Australian national. We met this lady and...
  7. O

    VIC Filing for court for Property Settlement + Parenting Order myself? De Facto relationship

    Hi all, I was in a De facto relationship for 8 years - partner and I just separated. One house, 2 young kids. She is dragging her feet to do the paperwork for the property settlement (she made me leave and kept everything), offered me like 6% of our assets, I asked for 40%. We've gone through...
  8. N

    NSW Executor / Estate Attorney Demanding Beneficiaries Sign Statutory Declarations in order to Receive their Distributions from Estate

    I am one of ten (10) beneficiaries of a Will in equal shares. The estate is all cash. I have been asked to sign a Statutory Declaration that includes provisions regarding a) not being an undischarged bankrupt, b) I have not pledged estate assets to secure a debt and also c) to indemnify the...
  9. AdjournedAgain

    QLD Threats of application to vary Court Orders during execution of Approved Consent Order

    I need some help understanding what to do in the following situation.. Apologies for being long winded.. Separated on 31st January 2017. Divorced on 6th January 2018. Court Orders Approved 3rd August 2020 (Inclusive of parenting and financial) In the midst of executing the house settlement...
  10. cinnamon

    VIC Court Order Wording Clarification

    Our interim court order states the following: "The children spend time with and communicate with the father as agreed in writing, but failing agreement as follows: a. In week 1, from Thursday at 6:00pm until Monday at 6:00pm; b. In week 2, from Thursday at 6:00pm until Friday at 6:00pm;" What...