Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
  1. B

    QLD Temporary Guardianship of child

    Hi, My infant child has been living in Australia with his Mum. Im moving to Australia in a few months. My name is on birth certificate. Recently the Mother has moved out of her home due to mental health issues. Subsequently the Grandmother has taken over care until the Mother can cope mentally...
  2. R

    WA Getting My Baby Back - Go to Police or Court?

    My ex’s sister-in-law has been looking after my daughter for almost 3 years now. I haven’t seen her for 2. She is now 5. For the past 2 years, I have tried to contact this sister to gain access to my baby & only ever received a response 2 months ago. She was meant to have brought my daughter up...
  3. J

    NSW Enduring Guardianship

    Hi My question is two-fold regarding enduring guardianship in NSW. As background information, an elderly relative in my family has been suffering incapacitation from dementia for about 6 years, has been in an aged care facility for about 4 years and is currently in the advanced stages of...
  4. 2

    QLD Bequeathing Guardianship if I were to Die?

    Is there any way to bequeath guardianship / appoint a guardian if I were to die / become incapacitated? Currently have Joint Parental Responsibility (Consent orders 2012), but need to apply for Sole Parental Responsibility as the Father is no longer in contact, not able to sustain a...
  5. P

    QLD Legal guardianship of a child

    I have 100% parental responsibility of my child after the mother was found to be a risk to the child. Is it possible to make my wife (the child's step mother) a legal guardian so that she can sign school and medical documents etc and make necessary decisions if I am not available? And to protect...
  6. L

    NSW De Facto Relationships and Guardianship Query?

    I was recently doing my RCG and heard mention of how the law's work when accompanying a minor into a pub (the family friendly areas, of course) could be done by parents, appointed stand in parents, or even someone over 18 who is their de facto relationship partner. I asked under what context...
  7. S

    NSW Wills - Name 17-Year-Old Child as Guardian of Younger Sibling?

    My spouse and I will be traveling overseas shortly for a brief holiday without the kids. Oldest is 17 (will be 18 at end of Nov), youngest is 14 at end of Jan. We are redoing our wills as our currently listed guradians are no longer able to perform this duty if required. Our oldest is very...
  8. D

    VIC Visa for Legal Guardianship?

    My mother-in-law has legal guardianship of my husband's nephew in South Africa. This was obtained when his sister (the boy's mother) had a drug problem and mental health issues while she was in rehabilitation for 2 years. The nephew (now 11yrs) and his mother (husband's sister) live with my...
  9. E

    QLD Can Guardian Open and Manage Bank Account for Disabled Brother?

    I have an adult disabled brother who can't consent to a power of attorney. We are transitioning to the NDIS and need to open a bank account in my disabled brother's name for the funds to go in to, my dad is looking to apply for guardianship and administration. How straight forward is it? Does he...
  10. A

    QLD What are the steps to get formal guardianship of a severely intellectually disabled adult

    My 23 year old brother is severely intellectually disabled, he can't talk, dress, feed, bathe or change himself and has zero understanding and cannot consent to anything. We are currently transitioning over to the NDIS and my father needs to apply for guardianship and administration. Can...