VIC On Bail - Will Immigration Security Stop Me from Leaving?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GullibleMe

7 January 2017
Hi,

I'm currently on bail with a pending court date extremely close to the end of my visa. After seeking legal aid, the advice I was given was more or less to hop on a plane home as it's extremely unlikely I would receive jail time for the offences as I have never been in trouble before and then options would be limited as to what they could do with me.

What I'm worried about is, am I going to be stopped from leaving Australia by security or immigration?

Obviously by attempting to leave, I would be breaking bail conditions but I can't stay any longer.

I have no income or savings so I desperately want to go home. I'm just scared I won't be allowed to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

First of all if what you have said is true the legal aid lawyer has exercised very poor judgement in the advice they have given you. No lawyer should have advised you to skip bail.

If you're still in the country you should follow through on your court date, regardless of you wanting to go home. If you are not still in country, well I hope you never wanted to return.