QLD Are QCAT claims against business's covered by their insurance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wobby77

17 November 2016
I am helping a friend with several cases against a local Pest company and Builder for dodgy pre purchase inspections. This question is about the QCAT component we have lodged against the Builder who was not licenced to carry out a building inspection by QBCC. They investigated and fined him for this. But he did do a building report which my friend relied on assuming it would be the same standard as another report for a different property, performed by someone else. A lot of work to get to this point. When served he basicaly went straight to his legal team representing him in the negligence claim (BIG injury because they both failed to pick up the whole floor was eaten out. QBCC got experts to confirm it was there for ages) . Is it possible, likely or a given that his business insurance will cover any agreement reached with us or as ordered by a QCAT court? I have lodged against buisness before and they handled qcat themselves, but also those claims were not the large figure we are pursing here so I am unsure if their professional liability insurance or any insurance will cover this. Is QCAT classed as suing someone?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Yes, QCAT is ‘suing someone’. If he’s not licensed for the work he performed and he’s insured, his insurer is almost assuredly going to disclaim liability and refuse to cover him.