small claims court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Small-claims courts have limited jurisdiction to hear civil cases between private litigants. Courts authorized to try small claims may also have other judicial functions, and go by different names in different jurisdictions. For example, it may be known as a county or magistrate's court. These courts can be found in Australia, Brazil, Canada, England and Wales, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand, Philippines, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa and the United States.

View More On
  1. S

    QLD Fair Work Small Claims court including fraud allegations, settlement options

    I currently have an application in the Small Claims court through Fair Work. I was made redundant a couple of years ago (had worked 5years). My ex-employer trained up her new boyfriend to take over my job, a month before I left. My ex-employer verbally abused and intimidated me over the phone...
  2. S

    VIC Taking samsung to small claims court

    have an 11 months old Samsung Galaxy s10 plus My phone was overheating extremely and took it to Samsung repair centre. Technician told me that they will advise Samsung to replace the phone but Samsung case manager decided with repair option. 3 days ago , my phone exposed to water for 20...
  3. L

    Flooring Installer Refund - Small Claims Court or Fair Trading. Which is better?

    I am dealing with a flooring installer who hasn't returned my down payment of $2200 After paying a deposit he sent me an invoice for the balance with a due date of 29 February 2020 (Sent on 18 January) But on the day before installation (16 February) he demanded full payment before he has...
  4. T

    NSW Claiming Damages for Non-Financial Loss in NSW?

    Can damages for inconvenience, shock, distress, humiliation etc be claimed in the NSW local court in small claims and NSW Civil and Consumer Tribunal small claims?
  5. BenBean

    NSW Small Claims Court for Freelancer Working Overseas?

    Hi, I apologise if this is in the wrong section. A few months back, I was working from home as a contractor doing some IT work for a company in the UK. Both parties signed an employment contract, which I have a copy of, and I was to be paid monthly, based on an hourly wage. We used a website...
  6. Cookie123

    NSW Car Smashed into Several of Parked Vehicles - Small Claims Court?

    Hi all and thanks in advance, We just had a car smash into several of our parked vehicles, which were parked on the street. 2 of the vehicles had car insurance, but one was unregistered and in the process of getting a blue slip. It looks like 2 of the vehicles will be a write off (1 of the...
  7. G

    NSW Small Claims Court - Rural Fencing Contractor Matter

    My brother is a fencing contractor in a country town in NSW. A very successful and well respected rural fencer in the area. Late last year he attended a job and offered a ESTIMATE to build a wild dog fence on a property. The job was to remove a small section of fence and install a new fence in...
  8. J

    QLD Retaining Wall - Tradesman Took Deposit but No Show?

    Hello everyone, Our retaining wall is falling apart and we found a licensed landscaper to have it replaced. He claims that it'd take 3 days and took a 50% deposit. He showed up on the first day to remove the old wall, but he didn't show up after that. I called him many times and he said he'd...
  9. M

    NSW Private Motorcycle Sale - Taking Seller to Small Claims Court?

    Hi guys, Stupidly on my part, I bought a bike privately off a bloke over the weekend and I am on my ls. While this bike is under 650cc and there are versions of it that are learner legal. The one I purchased was not. The bloke selling it told me it was but of course, it is my word verses his...
  10. P

    WA Interstate Small Claims Court?

    Hello, Would just like to know am I able to take someone based in a different state to the Small Claims Court? They are a online provider and their offices are located in QLD and I am located in WA. If not which court would be appropriate? Many thanks in advance.