NSW Theft and Larceny Charge Over Rental Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Iris.M

2 May 2016
I'm hoping to get anyone's input on this case. I am being charged with larceny as bailee greater than 20k. This is over a rental car that was hired in my name but paid for and signed by a 2nd party. The keys never touched my hand and that's when party no.3 comes in. He has the car the entire time and will not reply to any contact and if he does it's to make threats if questioned about it.

Police questioned me and I told them all I knew. The car was retrieved that same day undamaged and only a matter of x days overdue. So why is it that I am being charged for theft of the entire car value which is the part that brings the potential jail term?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ponala

10 February 2015
Without going into the 'in and outs' of your case you are charged with the value of the item that the theft charge relates to, you can't be charged with part value. In your case if a charge relates to a car worth $70,000 regardless of your role the theft charge value is $70,000.