VIC Abused by Stepfather - Possible Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


Active Member
6 May 2015
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask.

I was badly physically abused by my mother's husband (step-father) who at the time was an ex police officer as a child and I still remember what has done to me. At the time and my grandparents got me and was living in NSW, I now live in Victoria.

As a result of that, I developed a anger problem. I was sent to hospital because of it and I have all the files and medical records and reports.

It was taken to court, but he got away with it for some reason.

I'm now 26 and I want to seek any possible compensation for the abuse i received as I think I should be entitled to something?

Thanks for reading


Well-Known Member
23 July 2014
Unfortunately, there are no actions for remedy under family law to seek compensation for emotional harm. I think, if you were to have any avenues for such a claim, it would be under torts law on grounds your step-father breached his duty of care to you. I really don't know how successful this would be, though.