NSW Workers Compensation Claim - What are My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

margdv

30 May 2014
I am about to go to a Tribunal reconciliation meeting regarding my workers compensation claim. The Insurer's solicitors have now written to me demanding for ALL banking details including deposits withdrawals etc, investments, tax return and passport. As well as medical records / reports / receipts that they have had in their possession for months.

This letter was not send to the tribunal as per procedure. As my case involves the tribunal, is it not the one to give me directives instead of a hostile solicitor? Do I have to comply?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

I assume that your claim is under WorkCover NSW? If so, have you called the Workers Compensation Commission and asked them? Their phone number is 13 10 50 Home - Resolving your dispute

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Margdv,

It is probably best to call up the Commission and enquire about their procedure. It may be that the Insurance Company is requesting the documents as part of their own internal procedures. However, I suspect if you are making a workers compensation claim, you will need to disclose your financial state (i.e. records) and medical records before the Tribunal makes a final determination. This is because these records is your evidence for claiming compensation. Having said that, you may not need to disclose all the records they ask for. Have you contacted the Employment Law Services of Legal Aid or your local community legal centre to enquire as to what you need to disclose?