NSW Unfair Treatment by University - Where to Find Litigation Lawyers?

Discussion in 'Personal Injury Law Forum' started by Peteroz123, 31 January 2018.

  1. Peteroz123

    Peteroz123 Member

    31 January 2018
    Likes Received:

    I am studying my degree, with reasonable adjustments in place (as per the universities obligations). I was not happy with a new asstistive technology worker's assistance (or lack thereof) .

    I made an informal complaint, which resulted in the head of department bullying me, rather than investigating my concern. She was angry that I made a complaint.

    I then escalated to a formal complaint (which wasn't properly investigated by the deputy vice-chancellor, as the deputy vice-chancellor investigating was clearly friends and on the side of the head of department which I complained about formally).

    I then escalated the matter further with more complaints (which were very detailed), which were responded to only summarily and I believe by an inappropriate person to be doing the investigation, because as per university policy, the investigation should be done by someone higher up. Therefore someone higher up than deputy vice-chancellor should have investigated.

    I do have email evidence which shows ongoing issues where sufficient support needs were not reasonably met (regarding my disability needs). I also have what I believe are very strong evidences that the complaints I made were not properly or thoroughly investigated.

    For example, the person investigating the complaints against deputy vice-chancellor asked the vice-chancellor's secretary/note taker about what happened in a meeting, and was asked with her employer there. They supposedly gave an exact same recount of something which occurred (which is unlikely/implausible unless they were both asked while in the same room, and of course, the secretary doesn't want to disagree with her boss when he is there, even if he is being untruthful).

    I believe there is some very strong evidence to show a 'preponderance of evidence' civil burden of proof, to support my claims of bullying and harassment by staff, as well as a failure in their duty of care, and also a failure in their requirement to make reasonable adjustments for me to continue education (with disabilities).

    I have now been suspended from the University, for not attending a 'health assessment' meeting, which I did not know about, and which I was unable to attend on their demand, due to me being on break from university over the summer and not being available to attend a hearing (hearing was stemmed from the deputy vice-chancellor making a vexatious and fictitious claim/allegation/complaint about me, in retaliation for me having made complaints against him).

    I am now determined to follow up with some civil litigation, as I feel it is the only way to force the higher ups of the university to act appropriately and responsibility, instead of just not investigating things properly because they are friends of the persons I made complaints against and thus believe everything they say without question. and believe nothing I say without concrete evidence (which I kind of have, since 1 complaint against me was physically impossible, somebody allegedly viewed me doing something, where they would need to see around a corner, and through a door, and up a corridor).

    They also alleged I ran through a door which has a button, then opened very slowly (alleged they were threatened by me running, through a door which is impossible to run through).

    I am in Wollongong, but quite happy to travel to Sydney or further, for someone who would be great at this particular litigation.

    However, I have absolutely no idea where to start, in finding a good legal representation for this matter. I have no or little money, so it would have to be on a no win no fee basis or possibly someone or some organization may take up this matter as a matter of public interest for the greater good and betterment of society and to prevent future unfair and unjust practices at public institutions who would prefer to believe their employees unequivocally, instead of investigating matters fairly, unbiased and equally.

    I would like to be able to find out if there are any legal representatives whom have successfully argued similar cases. Perhaps that would be a good place to start, in my search for a suitable lawyer, etc?

    Thank you all for reading.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm not litigating at all for the money, I just want justice for the sake of others who may have similar things happen to them, but who might to not be willing or able to stand up against such wrongs and injustices.

    Ps. I'm wondering also, since the university is a public university, would it be worth contacting a local member of Parliament? And would I be litigating the government, if I litigate a public university?

    Kind regards,
  2. faustus

    faustus Well-Known Member

    26 November 2016
    Likes Received:
    Dude: talk to your SRC. They will probably have free legal consultations.
  3. Tim W

    Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

    28 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    If, at the core, it's about a failure by the university to make reasonable adjustments,
    then think about running an anti-discrimination matter, and forget all the other stuff.

    And, as for this bit:
    let's be clear - there are few things that make lawyers reach for the oxygen sooner than somebody who says "...but it's the principle of the thing."
    This is because the case itself is so very often without a legal basis, or factual merit.
    Best of luck to you.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    larrylarry likes this.

Share This Page