QLD Summons for debt - Can I contact their solicitor?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JaxyWhite

3 July 2017
Hi

I received a summons (statement of claim) for a debt with a local services company from four years ago.
There are a couple of inaccuracies on the forms (such as dates and years that services were provided) but I accept I owe the amount being claimed but am currently unemployed and have a payment agreement with a debt collection company for another debt that has thankfully kept me off claiming bankruptcy.

I am wondering if I can write to the Solicitor that submitted the summons and request a payment plan directly (or even the services company who employed the Solicitor). I hadn't received any correspondence in 3 years besides the summons that was delivered so am hopeful they would be willing to consider an "out of court" type agreement.

I now live in another city and can do without the stress of court and hope I can take this approach.

Any advice on whether this type of thing can be done?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi Jaxy,

I see no reason at all why you couldn't contact their solicitor to negotiate a payment arrangement. If you tell them you are unemployed they may have no option but to accept it however it any take some time to pay the debt off as you are. Bankruptcy doesn't necessarily get them their money. Good luck.