Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

Debt Against a Service I Never Received?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Paul Gunston, 11 July 2014.

1. Paul Gunston

Paul Gunston Member

Hi there,
    In March 2014, I signed up to an internet hosting service with a company. I waited, expecting my service to become active however, it never did, so I submitted a support request. (I have no record of this).

I received no response to the support request however, on June 12, I received an email from the client relationship manager regarding my credit card being flagged as invalid.

I responded to the email asking for my service (which I hadn't received) to be terminated. I did not receive a response. On 11/07/2014 I received a legal notice stating that an attempt was being made to collect a debt by their debt collectors and failure to comply with the demand may result in legal proceedings against me.

Do I have the legal right to refuse payment considering that I have NEVER once received any service from this company, nor has the company made any effort to assist me?

2. Garry Traynor

Garry Traynor Member

Did you use Premium Locals

3. Garry Traynor

Garry Traynor Member

4. Paul Gunston

Paul Gunston Member

No. It was Fortatrust.