NSW Ramifications of a Weekend Away with Friend on Parole?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lib

29 September 2016
Hi,

My friend's been on parole for the last 4 months for armed robbery. I wasn't in the country when that happened and I've only reconnected with them recently.

A bunch of friends and I are going on holiday over the long weekend. We will be staying in a property I own. I gave him my details to give to his parole officer and now that officer would like to speak to me.

I'm curious to know if there will be any ramifications from this. As paranoid as this may sound, will my details be retained by the parole officer / body?

Thanks for reading

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, if it is relevant to the parole conditions.

Lib

29 September 2016
Ah. So to clarify, the parole officer can contact me due to the parole conditions. Can he/ she keep my details under the same conditions?

Jess36

28 September 2016
I would assume your details would be retained just as a matter of protocol. He would need to confirm the details are legitimate which is why he would want to contact you I think.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Parolees are monitored closely,
so of course you can expect your details to be recorded and retained,
at the very least for the duration of the parole period, and probably after that..

The PO will want to be fairly confident that the parolee will not be breaching any of his conditions.
The PO will also want to have some sense of with whom your friend will be spending his time.

Parole conditions can be complex and onerous, and are not negotiable.
Your friend could have any number of conditions, which could include (by way of example)
  • not attending one of more addresses; and/or
  • living at a certain address; and/or
  • not being around people he's not meant to be with,
    (this is called "consorting"); and/or
  • not being around, say, children (if he's on parole for that class of offence); and/or
  • not consuming alcohol (or anything else); and/or
  • not being around people who do; and/or
  • being at home between certain hours of the day/ night
    (parolees often breach this condition by going away overnight); and/or
  • attending regular meetings with the Parole Officer
    (parolees often breach this condition by going way from their usual place of residence); and/or
  • staying with the state in which they have been given parole; and/or
  • not returning to (or near to) a place related to their offence, or to any victim(s),
    survivors, witnesses, or the F&F of any of those people;
  • Doing/ not doing any of the above, or any other condition,
    without the formal consent of the Parole Officer.
Understand that the parolee has (in laymens' terms) no rights.
All he has in the conditions of his parole. They are not negotiable.
He either complies, or he faces going right back to prison.