VIC Partner threatening to take baby from me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Misty Rose

5 October 2019
My partner threatens a fair bit to leave me/throw me out our home and also take our 11 week old baby from me.
I’m worried as I’m not Australian (British), he is and I’m currently waiting to see if I’m granteed my visa.

1. Can he get full rights over me for our baby?
2. If I’m deported is there a chance my baby won’t go back with me?

Beside myself with worry and would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thank you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do you want to stay in Australia?

Look, our laws are pretty good and on your side. The basic premise to our system is 'best interest of the child'.

Chance of you being deported? respectfully, no one on a site like this can realistically answer that sort of question. We're all punters with some experience, so this is a family law site. Anyone here has experience with family law.... Immigration law? whole other game.

If there is no other violence? threats? I'd suggest you ask him to agree to some marriage / partner councilling. Adjusting to parenthood is hard work.
how long have you been with this guy?

Misty Rose

5 October 2019
Thanks for your response sammy01.
I believe for my daughter it’s a better way of life here than the UK but I’ll go wherever and do whatever it takes not to be separated from her.
I’ve spoken to a few professional people regarding my situation and I’ve been told that I am in a mentally abusive relationship, I think I’ve been in denial for too long. I’ve started logging things to help my case of our relationship on a daily basis.
We’ve been together 3 years and even though our child was planned, I feel like I’m being punished. I’ve suggested couples councilling only to be told that I’m messed in the head and that only I need to go see someone.
My partner has 3 children from 2 previous relationships none of which he sees. Should have been a warning sign however I did not find this out until nearly a year in (I was told they were other family members, even by his mum). I know it’s harsh but if worse came to worse surely this factor would help my case.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Whether you stay in Australia or not, you need to take your daughter and leave this loser while you still can. He won't change and counselling certainly won't help him.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, good, see leaving australia would be hard work.

Can you tell us a bit more about your situation. Work? mortgage or rent? Anything to help us understand how to give good advice. You can go see a dr and get some free counselling to help you deal with the stress. If you feel you're in danger go to the local police station and talk to the DVLO - domestic violence liason officer.