Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A father is the male parent of a child. Besides the paternal bonds of a father to his children, the father may have a parental, legal, and social relationship with the child that carries with it certain rights and obligations. An adoptive father is a male who has become the child's parent through the legal process of adoption. A biological father is the male genetic contributor to the creation of the infant, through sexual intercourse or sperm donation. A biological father may have legal obligations to a child not raised by him, such as an obligation of monetary support. A putative father is a man whose biological relationship to a child is alleged but has not been established. A stepfather is a male who is the husband of a child's mother and they may form a family unit, but who generally does not have the legal rights and responsibilities of a parent in relation to the child.
The adjective "paternal" refers to a father and comparatively to "maternal" for a mother. The verb "to father" means to procreate or to sire a child from which also derives the noun "fathering". Biological fathers determine the sex of their child through a sperm cell which either contains an X chromosome (female), or Y chromosome (male). Related terms of endearment are dad (dada, daddy), baba, papa, pappa, papasita, (pa, pap) and pop. A male role model that children can look up to is sometimes referred to as a father-figure.

View More On Wikipedia.org
  1. S

    Father won't sign passport please help

    Hi I have no orders with ex and my daughter currently living with him. Ex refuses to communicate with me (blocked me on phone etc) which forces my child as a go between. I checked with teenage daughter about the dates to travel overseas to Bali and all was ok. I paid for holiday and two weeks...
  2. M

    QLD DENYING FATHER ADDRESS; can he withhold our child for my visitation?

    Hi. I have a 12 year old daughter with my ex. Recently I consented without admission to a DVO (for derogatory texts) that he went to the police for, himself and his new partner were placed on the order and I’m not to be within 100m apart from custody agreement pick up and drop off. Since this...
  3. O

    NSW Can a father relinquish rights if a one night stand got pregnant?

    Hello Just wanted to ask what the grounds were for terminating father rights? I have a friend who had gotten pregnant by someone and the father relinquished his rights. But i thought it was only if someone adopts the child? A bit of an odd situation, although I'm sure it isn't rare. This...
  4. O

    Terminating parental rights for father?

    Hello A bit of an odd situation, although I'm sure it isn't rare. This situation has been going on for a couple of months and im trying to get some information while we wait for a lawyer to respond. 1 month before my partner and i met, he had a one night stand which has resulted in a baby...
  5. A

    QLD back again ...

    Hi everyone, Its been over a year I think since I last posted a query! In that time, step-son and his mother relocated to the same state about 2 hours drive away and we have had an 'every other weekend' and Christmas holiday arrangement. The child will commence school this year, and his father...
  6. A

    WA Father sends son Letter of administration 10 years after mother has deceased

    My father has hired a lawyer & sent me a consent notice to sign so he can become the administer of my Mothers estate. My mother died 10 years ago & I'm pretty sure she had a will. It states they have enclosed a copy of the will but nothing was there. I rang the lawyer & enquired she said to...
  7. S

    serious abusive by Father - mother and infant still being tortured by his behaviors but court doesnt care

    This is before the courts - female child under 4 the day after her second weekend including overnight with her father, disclosed in her innocents sexually inappropriate behaviors and named her father - there was also contact before and after abuse reported to child protection where father was...
  8. S

    QLD Absent father 11 years

    My child’s bio father has been absent for 11 years. I had a restraining order against him before she was born. He met child twice within the first 2 weeks of her life for 10mins. About a month later he texts and says he thinks it’s best for everyone if he walks away and has nothing to do with...
  9. H

    VIC Mother threatening to take baby away from father

    My brother's partner is currently 28 weeks pregnant with his baby and it is quite apparent she is suffering from some form of mental health issue. For months she has been mentally, emotionally and financially abusing my brother. She has threatened my brother that she would terminate her...
  10. W

    VIC Scheduled visitation which father wants to avoid

    Father has just advised he cannot see child during Court ordered visitation weekend as he will be interstate for a weekend. This has been an ongoing situation which I have dealt with but the upcoming weekend I am working and cannot change my hours. Father has done this previously and I have...