VIC Mother threatening to take baby away from father

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Heather3

10 June 2022
My brother's partner is currently 28 weeks pregnant with his baby and it is quite apparent she is suffering from some form of mental health issue. For months she has been mentally, emotionally and financially abusing my brother. She has threatened my brother that she would terminate her pregnancy to get her own way. She has threatened him that she was going to quote 'wrap herself and the baby around a tree' so he would suffer. My brother has since been admitted to a psych ward following the abuse. She is now holding it against him that he will have no access to his child as he had been in the psych ward. She is currently living in a share house, she is only a casual worker, she has no money and her only support network is him. She is blackmailing him not talk to his family (mum, dad and sister) or she will keep the baby from him and also threatens the baby will not have his last name and she will keep him off the birth certificate. We have contacted her family to make them aware of the situation but she has since cut them all off when they suggested she seek medical attention. He stated that until she gets the help she needs, he wants full custody of the baby when it is here. What are my brother's rights in this situation? Can he obtain custody of a newborn baby if he is concerned for the baby's welfare due to her threatening to harm it?

wendygeorge

30 April 2022
It sounds as though both parents have mental health issues and a benefit vs risk analysis would need to be done when baby is here.
What you could do now is alert child protection of the threats

12 October 2021
Oh, your brother is screwed, if he has a few hundred thousand dollars he could pursue through court to see his child, though there is the possibility that child safety might take the child, though extremely unlikely.