QLD New Zealand Debt - Affect Home Loan Chances in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nathan

21 May 2014
Hi all,
I'm a New Zealand citizen who moved to Australia and have lived here for 5 years. I left a loan in New Zealand of $20,000 which I intended to continue paying. Unfortunately, I could not keep up the loan payments and the debt was sold to Credit Corp (debt collectors). I've been paying this with Credit Corp without fault now for 4 years and accumulated a total of $8500 paid.

Since I have been in Australia, I have been approved for phone plans, credit cards and car loans but now seeking a home loan I am concerned I may not make it across the line in this credit check. Does my credit report from New Zealand follow me to Australia? I know it appears it doesn't however I tried to do the right thing and talk to Credit Corp about my intention to seek a home loan and if there company comes up on a report from Australia? At first, I spoke to a lady who basically told me that the credit files are made in New Zealand and do not transfer in Australian files and would not show. I was called again today about a week after I spoke to Credit Corp about the files and my debt manager spoke to me, made very clear I was being recorded and asked all my details. Then proceeded to tell me that because Credit Corp is an Australian company I have an account with them and my New Zealand debt would be able to be viewed. She then proceeded to ask me to increase the amount I currently am giving each month. If I was getting through a loop hole before to get loans, is Credit Corp now able to change my files to ensure I won't be able to get a home loan approved?

Thank you.

Reactions: Jennifer J

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Nate,
Australian home loan lenders (banks, etc.) generally rely on your credit report to better understand your credit history.
Recent reforms to the Privacy Act mean that foreign (including New Zealand) credit information should not be included in Australian credit reports. Please review the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website for further information on recent Privacy Act credit reporting reforms.
If you are presently seeking a home loan (or any other credit facility), you should review and/or monitor your Australian credit report (available from Veda Advantage with free and paid options) for any potential attempts by Credit Corp to record your New Zealand credit information on your Australian credit report.

Sasha

12 August 2014
Hi John R,

Do you know if its the same if you move from Australia to New Zealand? I'm thinking about moving back to NZ and wondering if my 10k credit card default will follow me back and appear on my credit file.

matt 68

13 August 2014
So basically, If I have a bad debt/default in NZ and the NZ finance company know I'm in Australia, then they cannot record the default onto my Australian Credit file?

Sammy123

26 April 2019
Hi Nate,
Australian home loan lenders (banks, etc.) generally rely on your credit report to better understand your credit history.
Recent reforms to the Privacy Act mean that foreign (including New Zealand) credit information should not be included in Australian credit reports. Please review the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website for further information on recent Privacy Act credit reporting reforms.
If you are presently seeking a home loan (or any other credit facility), you should review and/or monitor your Australian credit report (available from Veda Advantage with free and paid options) for any potential attempts by Credit Corp to record your New Zealand credit information on your Australian credit report.
Hi there lm in a similar situation to Nathan, my fiancé and l are in the process to buy
Hi Nate,
If you are presently seeking a home loan (or any other credit facility), you should review and/or monitor your Australian credit report (available from Veda Advantage with free and paid options) for any potential attempts by Credit Corp to record your New Zealand credit information on your Australian cre
Hi there lm in a similar situation as Nate, my fiancé and l are in the process of buying a house. Our broker lodged our application with commbank the same bank we bank with and they came back asking what lm paying to baycorp and to another debt collector. I was supposed to go back to uni in NZbut decided to stay and so the uni made me pay for the classes l withdrew from it went to baycorp and l have paid baycorp religiously.. the other is abit tricky l had dental work done after l knocked my front tooth at 19 got a loan through asb bank in NZ and after l moves here the first few months l could get a steady income so it ended up being sold to collectors and l pay it through my commbank account also . Is this going to ruin our chances of getting the loan since they both from collections agencies? I have good credit in Australia and even have a credit card through commbank to help build my credit report. If they have seen these Payne before when l applied for the credit card will they deny me now? I’m so worried as we had found the perfect block and if they say no we are going to lose it’s we will have to try again with someone else.

Sammy123

26 April 2019
Hu
Hi all,
I'm a New Zealand citizen who moved to Australia and have lived here for 5 years. I left a loan in New Zealand of $20,000 which I intended to continue paying. Unfortunately, I could not keep up the loan payments and the debt was sold to Credit Corp (debt collectors). I've been paying this with Credit Corp without fault now for 4 years and accumulated a total of $8500 paid.

Since I have been in Australia, I have been approved for phone plans, credit cards and car loans but now seeking a home loan I am concerned I may not make it across the line in this credit check. Does my credit report from New Zealand follow me to Australia? I know it appears it doesn't however I tried to do the right thing and talk to Credit Corp about my intention to seek a home loan and if there company comes up on a report from Australia? At first, I spoke to a lady who basically told me that the credit files are made in New Zealand and do not transfer in Australian files and would not show. I was called again today about a week after I spoke to Credit Corp about the files and my debt manager spoke to me, made very clear I was being recorded and asked all my details. Then proceeded to tell me that because Credit Corp is an Australian company I have an account with them and my New Zealand debt would be able to be viewed. She then proceeded to ask me to increase the amount I currently am giving each month. If I was getting through a loop hole before to get loans, is Credit Corp now able to change my files to ensure I won't be able to get a home loan approved?

Thank you.
Nate how did you go with your home loan?