Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A court is any person or institution, often as a government institution, with the authority to adjudicate legal disputes between parties and carry out the administration of justice in civil, criminal, and administrative matters in accordance with the rule of law. In both common law and civil law legal systems, courts are the central means for dispute resolution, and it is generally understood that all people have an ability to bring their claims before a court. Similarly, the rights of those accused of a crime include the right to present a defense before a court.
The system of courts that interprets and applies the law is collectively known as the judiciary. The place where a court sits is known as a venue. The room where court proceedings occur is known as a courtroom, and the building as a courthouse; court facilities range from simple and very small facilities in rural communities to large buildings in cities.
The practical authority given to the court is known as its jurisdiction (Latin: jus dicere') – the court's power to decide certain kinds of questions or petitions put to it. According to William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England, a court is constituted by a minimum of three parties: the actor or plaintiff, who complains of an injury done; the reus or defendant, who is called upon to make satisfaction for it, and the judex or judicial power, which is to examine the truth of the fact, to determine the law arising upon that fact, and, if any injury appears to have been done, to ascertain and by its officers to apply a legal remedy. It is also usual in the superior courts to have barristers, and attorneys or counsel, as assistants, though, often, courts consist of additional barristers, bailiffs, reporters, and perhaps a jury.
The term "the court" is also used to refer to the presiding officer or officials, usually one or more judges. The judge or panel of judges may also be collectively referred to as "the bench" (in contrast to attorneys and barristers, collectively referred to as "the bar"). In the United States, and other common law jurisdictions, the term "court" (in the case of U.S. federal courts) by law is used to describe the judge himself or herself.In the United States, the legal authority of a court to take action is based on personal jurisdiction over the parties to the litigation and subject-matter jurisdiction over the claims asserted.

View More On
  1. A

    CSA and court order question

    Dear member My wife and I need to respond to a CSA application. The scenario is this; final consent orders were made 2 years ago. The other parent consented to change over at the Mother's residence or the children's school. The Father (I'm the step father) lives in regional Victoria...
  2. C

    NSW court orders

    we have had our grandson for over 2 years. His father is in jail. His mother wants to take him to Qld. There was a federal court order to say he wasnt able to be taken out of NSW Does that change now his father is in jail
  3. R


    Can a foreign resident apply for an AVO in NSW without being present in Australia?
  4. T

    NSW Faulty Motorbike - Help very appreciated!

    Bought a used motorbike a month ago, a Hyosung 650 gt. haven't driven it since until yesterday in which the bike died. After a checkup at a mechanic, multiple problems were found to which we weren't informed of when buying the vehicle including faulty electrical's, broken voltage regulator and...
  5. M

    VIC Notice to Admit Fact in Federal Circuit Court

    Hi, can somebody provide advise on how to issue Notice to Admit Facts please? According to FCC rule 15.31(1) - "A party to a proceeding (the first party) may, by notice in accordance with the approved form, ask another party to admit, for the proceeding, the facts or documents specified in...
  6. S

    VIC Taking samsung to small claims court

    have an 11 months old Samsung Galaxy s10 plus My phone was overheating extremely and took it to Samsung repair centre. Technician told me that they will advise Samsung to replace the phone but Samsung case manager decided with repair option. 3 days ago , my phone exposed to water for 20...
  7. D

    WA Out of Court Settelment

    We have mutally agreed to settle out of court. What paper work is requiredby the court to finalise this matter? Many thanks.
  8. M

    VIC Property matter - Interrogatory in Federal Circuit Court

    Hi, does anybody know how to start an interrogatory in FCC in regards to financial discovery and disclosure? Pursuant to FEDERAL CIRCUIT COURT OF AUSTRALIA ACT 1999 - SECT 45, "Interrogatories and discovery are not allowed in relation to proceedings in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia...
  9. P

    Fraudulent reference provided to the Court.

    Could someone please tell me what the likely charge would be if a person who was before the courts for a minor drug charge was found to have provided several character references to the court that were forgeries?
  10. L

    Court Process

    Hi All, I wanted to ask a question regarding court process, I have read the actual processes etc, however wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience either going through the process or working within the system. Indictment charge for various charges of obtaining property by deception...