Chances to get PR Skilled Visa (189 or 190) with 4-year suspended sentence (10 years ago)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maxxximka

1 August 2017
Hello dear Experts!
First of all I ask for excuse for my English (It's not my native language).
I'm looking for professional oppinion or maybe some kind of statistic based on your own experisence in the following case:
To cut a long story short, I'm planning to immigrate to Australia throuth 189 or 190 Skiled visa as a civil engineer. All in all I reach 60-65 points according to requiements of point-based test of these visas.
Recently I learned about 'Character test' and s.501 of Migration Act 1958; I also learned about Direction 65, and some descriptions related to the issue which I could find, but I still didn't find a clear answer to my question.

In 2008, at the age of 18 I was convicted under article "illegal drug dealing" (Russian legislation, criminal code, sect. 228 part 1) to suspended sentence (means I was not in prison) of 4 years with probation period of 3 years). Since that time I behaved perfectly and had not any problems with the Law. At all. According to Russian legislation, since 3 years have passed after conviction, my sentence is considered nullified.

Visa cost and migration agent's service cost together pretty significant sum of money for us, taking into account that we have a baby. That's why I'm looking for more information about my case and approx. chances to be granted a visa. I realize that I cannot do all this procedure alone without help of professional Lawyer or MA, but I'm just trying to minimize risk of fuitless money spending. (I spoke with some mirgation agents via email; their predictions were "maybe... lets try and will see..." but pay in advance first...)

So, my questions are:

1)Can I assume that my case is suitable for subsection 10 of s.501 ? (
(10) For the purposes of the character test, a sentence imposed on a person, or the conviction of a person for an offence, is to be disregarded if: (a) the conviction concerned has been quashed or otherwise nullified;...)
Or maybe there are another ways exist?

2) Do you have any information related to my case? Maybe your personal experience or practice? Or maybe there are any official (government or court) descriptions exist?
3) What are my chances as you suggest?

I'll be glad for any honest answer! Thank you!