TAS Criminal Law - Possible to Get Early Spent Conviction?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


24 January 2016
Hi, I have 2 minor offences on my record from 2006/07 and I was wondering if there is any possibility of getting them spent earlier than the 10 years I have read on Criminal Law on the Internet.

I lived in Canada for 2 years before they required federal police checks to apply but when I went to apply for my 2nd visa, they had changed the requirements and I needed to provide my Australian Federal Police check.

I was unaware at the time that the fines from these offenses hadn't been paid, so I paid them immediately but the Canadian government said I still needed to wait 5 years from the date of completion of sentence before I could apply again. I believe that was October 2012.

I was just wondering if it were possible to apply for a spent conviction before my 10 years are up and if that would even help my case with the Canadian government at all?

Any help or recommendations you have would be amazing.

Thank you for your time.