being bankrupt travelling overseas and not returning

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fredsmith

1 May 2020
Hi I wondered if someone can tell me what happens if a bankrupt goes through the proper procedure to travel overseas then decides to stay overseas. They may have legitimate reasons for staying overseas such as getting a job remaining with family etc. I have heard that the penalty for this is that the bankruptcy period is extended by 5 years. Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible the trustee may approve a bankrupt remaining overseas without imposing a penalty? Could the penalty be more severe such as cancelling one's passport or trying to extradite such a person? Even if the person's debts are around 70k?
cheers

Nige123

30 April 2020
I understand that it is perfectly fine... just communicate with the trustee and explain. I believe they will require you to report in every couple of weeks. Any improvement of return to creditors should be welcomed. Otherwise cut an annulment - shouldn't cost much to buy your way out of that, would have thought $5-10k?