NSW Will a drug supply conviction become spent in NSW?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

InAPickle

26 June 2021
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I’m wondering if these convictions showing on my police check will become spent in the near future, as I’m moving overseas and need to show a clear criminal history as part of my visa application.

I’m hoping these convictions become spent on the 18th of July 2021 (7 days away) as that would be 10 years crime free but I’m not so certain now.. I’m really quite scared what’s going to happen if the convictions don’t disappear and I can’t get the visa I want as my wife and I have already bought i house in the country we want to move to, the consequences would be severe.

Assuming the convictions don’t disappear, specifically the drug supply charge which is the most problematic, is there any steps I can take in NSW to seal my record via the courts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m stressed to say the least.

I’ve attached a copy of my police check from 2020.

Thanks in advance!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You'll need case specific legal advice.
For that, you'll need to see a lawyer, for which fees will be payable.

InAPickle

26 June 2021
You'll need case specific legal advice.
For that, you'll need to see a lawyer, for which fees will be payable.
I had an appointment with a lawyer but they cancelled it and said there is nothing that can be done.

Maybe I should try a different lawyer, any suggestions on which firm might be well placed to handle an issue like this?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
You can try a different lawyer. That's your right as a consumer.
But lawyers cannot turn lead into gold.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Click "Report" and ask the Admins

InAPickle

26 June 2021
Click "Report" and ask the Admins
Hey, while I’ve got your attention. Do you know if the 10 year crime free period starts from the day the sentence was handed down or at the end of say a 3 year good behaviour bond?