NSW Criminal Law - Conviction Spent After 18 Years?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Jos351, 6 September 2018.

1. Jos351

Jos351 Member

Hi,

I have a conviction from 2001 for obtaining property by deception in Victoria. I did community service and all was finished. I have not reoffended but was just silly and young. Now I have a good job and have been chosen to head a new project at work where credit card access from customers is required and might be subject to a police check.

I’m already employed so not sure if this is for new employees but still I’m a bit nervous. What would my police check in NSW contain under criminal law? Or a national check? I read also that this offence is over 10 years so it might be spent? I don’t want my employee or Manager to know about something that happened 18 years ago. Should I be very worried?

Thank you

2. Adam1user

Adam1user Well-Known Member

Best way for you to find out is to get a criminal check for yourself and ask about this. it will cost you the fees, but at least you will not worry.

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

I agree with the above.
    The price of peace of mind is the same as
    the cost of doing one of those online checks, on yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jos351

Jos351 Member

Thanks that’s a great idea. I was concerned it might be different but the one I get would be the same as the one HR gets. I’ve been with the company a number of years I’m hoping I won’t even need to be checked! Thanks for your answer.

5. Jos351

Jos351 Member

Thank you, appreciate your response. Fingers crossed I won’t even need one!