NSW Criminal Law - Conviction Spent After 18 Years?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jos351

6 September 2018
Hi,

I have a conviction from 2001 for obtaining property by deception in Victoria. I did community service and all was finished. I have not reoffended but was just silly and young. Now I have a good job and have been chosen to head a new project at work where credit card access from customers is required and might be subject to a police check.

I’m already employed so not sure if this is for new employees but still I’m a bit nervous. What would my police check in NSW contain under criminal law? Or a national check? I read also that this offence is over 10 years so it might be spent? I don’t want my employee or Manager to know about something that happened 18 years ago. Should I be very worried?

Thank you

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Best way for you to find out is to get a criminal check for yourself and ask about this. it will cost you the fees, but at least you will not worry.

Good luck.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with the above.
The price of peace of mind is the same as
the cost of doing one of those online checks, on yourself.

Jos351

6 September 2018
Best way for you to find out is to get a criminal check for yourself and ask about this. it will cost you the fees, but at least you will not worry.
Good luck.
Thanks that’s a great idea. I was concerned it might be different but the one I get would be the same as the one HR gets. I’ve been with the company a number of years I’m hoping I won’t even need to be checked! Thanks for your answer.