Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Spent Convictions - Does the 6-Month Prison Sentence Also Apply to Suspensions?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Loperi, 22 March 2016.

1. Loperi

Loperi Member

Hello, I just got a question about spent convictions.

It says:

In relation to NSW convictions, a conviction generally becomes a "spent conviction" if a person has had a 10‑year crime‑free period from the date of the conviction. However, certain convictions may not become spent. This includes:

·where a prison sentence of more than 6 months has been imposed (periodic or home detention is not considered a prison sentence);

My question is, does this 6 month applies even if the sentence was suspended?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Loperi,

I know that in Qld, a conviction carrying a sentence of more than 30 months imprisonment (whether or not that sentence is suspended) is excluded from the regime. Therefore I would assume that NSW would be the same? So yes a prison sentence of more than 6 months would include a suspended sentence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...