Trial Outcome - FYI

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Complex16

27 July 2016
Hi All,

It has been some time since I have visited this site - have been largely trying to focus on other things (as best I can!). However, I feel able now to share with you all the outcome of my matter. Quick background - history of DV towards myself and our son plus many other partners and children of those partners. Significant criminal history relating to drug and alcohol abuse on the part of the father. Narcissistic, anti-social personality traits, self-serving etc.

After 4 years in the FCC, the matter proceeded to trial. The father had been seeking full parental responsibility and that our son live with him. Trial commenced and after we had both given evidence (myself for 3 hours and he for 1.5 days) the father then amended his final orders to agree that I have sole parental responsibility and that our son live with me. He was then seeking holiday time, alternate Xmas, birthdays etc, access to school reports, medical reports etc. I should add that the father and the ICL were very much aligned in that the orders they sought were identical.

The question remaining for the judge following submission of the father's revised orders was whether or not time moved to unsupervised with the father (following 4 years of supervised visits) and if it did, just how much unsupervised time. It was of course a question and matter of risk.

Our trial took 5 days in total and a further 18 months for judgement to be delivered. I can confirm that by this time I had expended $200,000 in legal fees.

The ultimate outcome is that time will move to unsupervised however limited to every second Saturday between 9am and 4pm after 3 months of shorter blocks of time. That's it. No holiday time (in fact time with the father is suspended during school holidays to enable us to holiday together (judge's words not mine). No access to school or medical reports, but he can send a card and gift on our son's birthday to a postal address I have nominated. The father also has a number of conditions and requirements pertaining to alcohol and drug use etc. as well as referral to a psychologist and behavior program.

My biggest fear throughout this entire process was that time move to unsupervised. That has now occurred, obviously, but having heard and read the judge's reasons I am comforted by the protective measures that have been put in place. I do truly believe that the right decision was made and for the right reasons. There were a few conditions to be met prior to the first unsupervised visit and so that first visit is yet to occur however will do so in the very near future. I am thankful that I have my own psychologist to assist me at this time and moving forward in order to implement the appropriate and adequate coping measures that I will require.

This has been a harrowing number of years and I am thankful that the legal aspect has now concluded. This of course does not mean that battles haven't occurred post judgement because sadly they have, but I am confident that in time we will get to a place where the routine is established and our son has the benefit of happy and healthy parents for the time that he spends with us both.

Thanks so much for reading x

sammy01

27 September 2015
Just checking? The ICL wanted to grant dad SPR?
Did you have any Family reports written in that time?

sorry to pry but you've been on and off this site for so long and I kinda remember some of the details. Madness that this cost you so much $$ but that is the system

Complex16

27 July 2016
Just checking? The ICL wanted to grant dad SPR?
Did you have any Family reports written in that time?

sorry to pry but you've been on and off this site for so long and I kinda remember some of the details. Madness that this cost you so much $$ but that is the system

All good Sammy. The ICL originally stated it could be a change of resident matter. Then following trial (judge requested further submissions) acknowledged that it could in fact be a no contact order (father).

there were a number of changed orders. Ultimately at the end ICL suggested SPR to myself but with a gradual increase in time to the father such as holidays etc.

we had 3 family reports done and at no time was the family report writer able to make a recommendation. So it all came down to the judge.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Thank you for your update and comments over time on the long, extensive, expensive and harrowing journey you undertook.

Reactions: Complex16