Tourist Refund Scheme

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Terence

2 January 2020
My gf 26 has been accused at the TRS at Sydney airport for getting credit funding purchased goods via deception as she did not have them in the box. She paid for them legit, and took the box to the airport but they found the box empty. Expected about $100 refund. They took her details and said possible 5 years jail and said they would refer to AFP and ATO. She has no crim record and denied knowledge and stated she did not pack the box.

What could happen to her for such a minor offence? We are waiting for solicitor response. Aiming for fine at best. Wiild ouldthe AFP/ATO prosecute her with a record over measly $100?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
My gf 26 has been accused at the TRS at Sydney airport for getting credit funding purchased goods via deception as she did not have them in the box. She paid for them legit, and took the box to the airport but they found the box empty. Expected about $100 refund. They took her details and said possible 5 years jail and said they would refer to AFP and ATO. She has no crim record and denied knowledge and stated she did not pack the box.

What could happen to her for such a minor offence? We are waiting for solicitor response. Aiming for fine at best. Wiild ouldthe AFP/ATO prosecute her with a record over measly $100?

I am not a lawyer but in from my understanding, usually the first time would have minimum offense penalty, for example, there will be no jail time, but a financial fine most properly.
I am sure a lawyer would provide more info on this matter if I'm wrong.