WA Shares for Minor Trust and Divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cubanpete

3 July 2017
This may be in the wrong forum area but its related to the divorce process (and avoiding court unless required).

After separation, we had $x in an account for the children. I invested this in a minor share trading account where I am the trustee. Nothing was hidden at this point. Now the investments made have gone up 400% in 3 years and the other party wants statements of the investments, I am fine with this. My concern is that I have obviously invested for the long term (they are under 10 right now). I am happy to take the other party's opinion in future investments but obviously, buying/selling will have a significant impact due to the tax on minors being so high. I have offered to pay her 50% of the original investment share value to avoid significant tax costs on the minor (I think like 45%) if the shares are sold which is not in their interest.

Is it reasonable to refuse to withdraw anything until they get financial clarification of the impacts/options plus their plan for investments?

The other party is refusing the sign the divorce papers due to this item which is naturally frustrating and whilst I try and maintain a workable relationship I now feel like serving them divorce papers.