TAS Ran Over Cat - Liable for Expenses?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

icana

9 December 2014
My wife ran over a cat the other night on a public road. Cat just ran out and she couldn't stop in time! Cat was slightly injured and ran off. A woman in car behind my wife stopped and helped search for the cat, and at the same time told my wife that she is totally liable for all costs, e.g. vet bills as she was the driver of the car!

Turns out cat wasn't badly injured, but owner has rung my wife asking her to pay the vet bill. Sorry for the cat...but I don't really think she is liable, can someone please help?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Pet owners are responsible for the actions of their animals on public roads. Assuming your wife was obeying road laws at the time (eg not drunk, hooning etc) then she is not responsible. Though can't place my finger tips on the relevant law to back my understanding. Try googling some more :)

icana

9 December 2014
thanks very much for your reply Rod, I didn't think she would be, and just to be more interesting, the owner has rung twice more
becoming slightly more aggro each time with the price rising as well... a bit of a scam in the making I think!
I have diverted his next call to me, will be interesting.
ps. all this happened about 2 weeks ago
Pet owners are responsible for the actions of their animals on public roads. Assuming your wife was obeying road laws at the time (eg not drunk, hooning etc) then she is not responsible. Though can't place my finger tips on the relevant law to back my understanding. Try googling some more :)