NSW We're entitled to nothing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Melissa80

30 January 2020
On new years day, a unregistered, uninsured stolen car crashed in to our house. We are the tenants and only lived here for two months. We stupidly did not have renters insurance.
The driver and his passenger fled the scene. We've not had any updates from the police.
We're currently living in house, the owners insurance gave usthe go ahead but the lounge and dining room have been sealed off so we cannot use them. The garage is now the living room. We are still paying full rent to the real estate who also have no clue as to what is going on, in fact they didn't even know we were staying at the house until I mentioned it the other week.
Anyways, although no one was physically injured, emotionally my partner, our 11 year old daughter and I are having a hard time emotionally.
When the accident occurred, my partner had 1 minute before gone out the back door to fees our cat, he didn't realise at the time our one year old had followed him, half way out then took a detour to our son's bedroom. When my partner heard the impact, he ran inside, seen the car and the concrete wall prices on the floor where he has last seen our 1 year old . He was screaming at me to call for help, I was frozen screaming "where's the baby" we actually thought she was dead. The relief when we heard her sweet little voice come from behind us. We now have trouble sleeping, I hear cars revving around and half the time I'm not sure if it's real or I dreamt it. My partner closes his eyes and sees the moment he thought our baby was under that wall. Our 11 year old can't sleep, she is restless and is scared. Thankfully our boys are younger and more resilient, they just say they don't want to live here because the house got smashed and they are scared it's gonna happen again after its fixed.
We don't think we can live here any more
We've been looking at houses but it's a very competitive market at the moment.
So here it is, we're not entitled to any compensation. I'm on disability and my partner is my carer so we don't have any loss of wages and we're bulk billed for our counselling services for 5 sessions a year.
Our mental anguish isn't recognised.
I'm tired, have headaches and nausea, and bad dreams, our daughter has nightmares and my partner is suffering from bad dreams and anxiety.
We've enquired about nominal defendant and our chances aren't good

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Sorry, I see your point. I was looking at it from the renting viewpoint and not thinking about compensation for trauma. I can’t offer any advice about this matter.