Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A house is a building that functions as a home. They can range from simple dwellings such as rudimentary huts of nomadic tribes and the improvised shacks in shantytowns to complex, fixed structures of wood, masonry, concrete or other materials containing plumbing, ventilation, and electrical systems. Houses use a range of different roofing systems to keep precipitation such as rain from getting into the dwelling space. Houses may have doors or locks to secure the dwelling space and protect its inhabitants and contents from burglars or other trespassers. Most conventional modern houses in Western cultures will contain one or more bedrooms and bathrooms, a kitchen or cooking area, and a living room. A house may have a separate dining room, or the eating area may be integrated into another room. Some large houses in North America have a recreation room. In traditional agriculture-oriented societies, domestic animals such as chickens or larger livestock (like cattle) may share part of the house with humans.
The social unit that lives in a house is known as a household. Most commonly, a household is a family unit of some kind, although households may also be other social groups, such as roommates or, in a rooming house, unconnected individuals. Some houses only have a dwelling space for one family or similar-sized group; larger houses called townhouses or row houses may contain numerous family dwellings in the same structure. A house may be accompanied by outbuildings, such as a garage for vehicles or a shed for gardening equipment and tools. A house may have a backyard or front yard, which serve as additional areas where inhabitants can relax or eat.

View More On
  1. C

    VIC Car written off whilst parked outside our house. Can I sue?

    My car was parked outside my house when a driver whom blew over 0.05 smashed into it and wrote off both cars. The insurance won’t cover the cost of replacement as it was a rare car with an insurance limit. Do I have grounds to sue the driver and if so, how do I proceed?
  2. V

    VIC Division of house

    My partner has ended our relationship of 15 years. We currently are still building our 'dream' home! 7 years ago we made a verbal agreement that I would pay the utility bills and rates so that she could put money into the house. Over this time she has spent about $50,000 and I have spent about...
  3. T

    House Rates

    I need advice on how to pay my house rates that I owe to the council $6,000 I’m on a payment plan but they want more money out of me which I don’t have as I’m not working what legal rights do I have against them ?
  4. T

    House Rates

    I owe money on my house rates $6,000 which I’m happy to pay off on a payment plan per fortnight as I’m not working. The issue is the council want me to pay each week $240 but I get paid fortnight $800 I’ve asked them to allow me to pay fortnight they just refuse plus have threaten me with court...
  5. S

    QLD Shoplifting coles- will police attend my house?

    Hi, I was picked up by two kids prevention officers at Cole’s for $20 worth of items. I paid for them and they took copy of my id. They told me nothing would happen and shook my hand on it. I’m worried. Anyone had this happen. My whole life would be gone if I get charged. It wasn’t purposeful...
  6. A

    WA Home & contents insurance claim proceeding but policy has only one of two names on the title deed.

    X partner has Home & contents insurance on joint house that burnt down, am I entitled to any monies as I am on the title deed? Or could she just pay her half of whats owing on the morgage & walk away leaving me with a debt & no where to live? How can an insurance company payout 355k to only...
  7. I

    VIC transfer of property

    Can we transfer our property to our children before we die
  8. J

    QLD Can mortgage be increased after property settlement?

    Good Morning, My partner has just had conciliation and has been fighting for rights to his children since the beginning of the year. He can no longer afford his private solicitor anymore and already has big debt. His ex has Legal aid. During Conciliation he was pressured into giving the ex half...
  9. aliabdoli

    Can a police officer come to your house to speak to you if law is NOT broken?

    A while back I talked to a woman who lives in the building next to my building and I told her "Often I see you in your cute nursery uniform but I don't get to chat to you". Four weeks later two police officers turned up at my house and said to me that the woman felt scared and complained to the...
  10. S

    SA New house - 3 month repair obligation

    I bought a new house in Adelaide and it seems the builder needs to take care of issues for repairs after 3 months. It's been 3 months after the submission of the repair list but the builder has been avoiding calls, emails. Is there any legal obligation that he has to do the repairs and can we do...