QLD Potential Case against QLD Gov Dept of Children, Youth Justice for Child Trauma

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

charchar22

18 February 2022
Hi All,
I have a strange request -
I want to sue the Qld Gov Dept of Children, Youth Justice for trauma caused to my 3yr old by a juvenile that was under their care. My daughter has shown symptoms of psychological trauma from the car being stolen, her mum being threatened with a hammer and police and security guards coming and going from our temporary accommodation.
Backstory: *Sorry it's long*
My family and I lost everything in the Qld floods so anything we had left was in our car. We have been basically living in our car with everything we own. Our insurance company finally put us up in emergency accommodation which happened to be a fairly new block of apartments. Unbeknownst to us, there are many juveniles on parole being housed there with their youth workers. Long story short - One kid chocked the door to allow others in, they stole the car, husband confronted those who chocked the door, I came down to see if he was ok, I was threatened with a hammer, death threats and threats to rob us again have come in but we have our car back (it's with the police still). Daughter has shown many signs of psychological trauma, change in her behaviour and many comments about our car being stolen, bad man with the hammer, etc. The Youth Workers were meant to keep these kids under watch but didn't. There are videos of them smoking weed in the apartments too. I've had the car since before my daughter was born so it's always been a safe space for her and the loss of it has definitely caused more trauma. I'm really angry and I know the ramifications that violent, scary events have on young children and I want justice for my daughter (and young son - 11 months). There have been zero ramifications for those involved including the youth workers.

Where do we go from here and what can we do? Please help - any advice would be amazing.