Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Claim Property Settlement 2 years after Divorce?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Kellie Draheim, 25 August 2014.

  1. Kellie Draheim

    25 August 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi, I have been divorced for coming on 2 years and never made financial settlement ( property settlement). I know this sounds stupid to many, I was so unhappy and my ex husband was very manipulative so I just wanted to take my daughter and start again. We had a house, with a mortgage when I left. He sold the home for $40,000 profit and also various vehicles and general home furniture etc. He did however let me take the car, that is all I left with. I have always had our daughter fulltime ( custody of children), and he has paid child support but it is a private agreement. I am just wondering if it is possible to claim financial settlement now, for the property and also superannuation.
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rebeccag

    rebeccag Well-Known Member

    8 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Kellie,
    The Family Law Courts site has some relevant information on your question, including the "Applying to the Court for orders" page:
    Any person who is, or has been married can apply for financial orders in the Family Law Courts. However you must do so within 12 months of your divorce order taking effect. After this time, you need the Court’s permission to apply.

    My understanding is that permission is only granted in very limited/exceptional circumstances. Hope this helps.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Michael T and AllForHer like this.

Share This Page