Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Biologically, a child (plural children) is a human being between the stages of birth and puberty, or between the developmental period of infancy and puberty. The legal definition of child generally refers to a minor, otherwise known as a person younger than the age of majority.Child may also describe a relationship with a parent (such as sons and daughters of any age) or, metaphorically, an authority figure, or signify group membership in a clan, tribe, or religion; it can also signify being strongly affected by a specific time, place, or circumstance, as in "a child of nature" or "a child of the Sixties".

View More On
  1. J

    QLD Child safety malpractice?

    Hi, a slightly long one sorry. I have care of 3 of my nephews and niece, 2,9,12. I have had them in my care for over 18months due to drug,alcohol and abuse from both parents. I have recently started raising concerns with the department of Child safety in regards to the care of the children on...
  2. cinnamon

    VIC Child Support Binding Agreement

    I would like to know what is the best possible way to go about a Child Support Binding Agreement. I am thinking that on the agreement the CSA basic/ periodic calculations can apply and then the added non-periodic payments which includes private medical aid, private school fees (50/50)...
  3. M

    Property will to a minor child

    My grandson will inherit property from a great uncle and the trustee will be his uncle. Can this property be sold at any stage to enable a better/different property to be purchased? Can the uncle hand over the trusteeship to the child's mother. Thank you.
  4. M

    QLD Family report writer - interviewing child with other party

    Just wondering what happens where child has refused to see their parent for 6 months and then FRW wants to see them "interact"together for purpose of Family report for FCC proceedings. I am really concerned about the effect this will have on my oldest child if this is mandated.....anyone have...
  5. M

    VIC GP recommendation used to justify child support?

    Interested to hear whether it's ok for a GP to make a recommendation of living arrangements (eg "I feel it is in the best interests of the children to remain in the care of...") and for it to be used as part of a CSA case to increase CS above agreed assessment? It feels off for a GP to be...
  6. J

    VIC Suing child protection services

    In 2015, I was finally able to submit a report and Timeline of Abuse to the Victorian Police. I had spent 30 years trying to do so, and continue the futile effort to this day. Multiple agencies and even politicians have been made aware of these offences in that time. The people I reported this...
  7. O

    Care of Child stated in will

    I am needing to have a will drawn up. I am currently partnered, have been together for 6 years and we have a 10 month old child, I also have a 10 year old son from a previous relationship. The biological father has had no contact since my son was four months old. There is no child support...
  8. M

    QLD Child Support

    There is a child support arrangement in place which reflect interim orders, whereby I pay my ex. For last 5 months teenage child has refused to attend upon the ex and lives full time with me. This was acknowledged in a notation in last revision of interim court orders, however CS are stating...
  9. Liv2010

    NSW Foul language to child

    My son that is 8yrs old keeps getting told to get f*cked by a adult man in my street when he plays wit the kids in the street. Is there anything I can do about this he is getting a bit scared when this happens, and I'm only a single mum so there is no way I can go and confront him about it.
  10. tinalucianne

    QLD Child on DVO turns 18

    Hi My child is on a protection order taken out by my Ex partner however he has now turned 18m does this mean he is no longer under the order and i can contact him?