Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Biologically, a child (plural children) is a human being between the stages of birth and puberty, or between the developmental period of infancy and puberty. The legal definition of child generally refers to a minor, otherwise known as a person younger than the age of majority.Child may also describe a relationship with a parent (such as sons and daughters of any age) or, metaphorically, an authority figure, or signify group membership in a clan, tribe, or religion; it can also signify being strongly affected by a specific time, place, or circumstance, as in "a child of nature" or "a child of the Sixties".

View More On
  1. charchar22

    QLD Potential Case against QLD Gov Dept of Children, Youth Justice for Child Trauma

    Hi All, I have a strange request - I want to sue the Qld Gov Dept of Children, Youth Justice for trauma caused to my 3yr old by a juvenile that was under their care. My daughter has shown symptoms of psychological trauma from the car being stolen, her mum being threatened with a hammer and...
  2. T

    VIC Children care question

    Hi. I recently had my finances sorted out via barrister mediation, and it went well for me. One of the clauses in our Heads of Agreement was for my crazy ex-wife to get in touch with CSA to correct some incorrect information she had given them in terms of care of the kids. My oldest two girls...
  3. H

    NSW Can absent parent apply to court for mediation direct with children - no parental rights?

    Hi, I have current orders that have been in effect for years stating I have sole parental responsibility and that the OP have no contact with the children unless the children choose to initiate contact with the OP, the children live with me full time. Over this period the children have always...
  4. I

    VIC transfer of property

    Can we transfer our property to our children before we die
  5. T

    QLD Can a court make an order for supervised contact if there are pending criminal dvo charges

    Im trying to help a friend with his family court stuff and Im wondering if anyone can tell me if the family court can make an order for supervised contact when there are pending criminal charges (false allegations)? The father hasn’t seen his kids for several years and wishes to establish some...
  6. J

    VIC Working with children check

    I want to apply for my dream job. The employer asked for work with children to check .Problem is there are dishonesty bending charges happened during my previous employment. A stupid mistake that's never happens again. I have no prior whatsoever. Therefore police may recommend diversion. The...
  7. P

    QLD Interim Defended Hearing/Affidavit response to respondant

    Hi, I filed an application for orders for my children to reside with me. We have had one court date that lasted 10 minutes via phone. The judge ordered that the children not be relocated from their current area which is where the mother lives and that we privately obtain a family report...
  8. B

    QLD Death certificate has an error about deceased children. 2 are living 1 is deceased.

    My husbands Qld death certificate is incorrect. 2 children living. 1 deceased
  9. N

    VIC Forced removal of children from care

    What provision in Victoria’s Children,Youth and Families Act empowers DHHS (now DFFH) to remove any child from Out of Home Care. Is there a formal protocol to be followed if there is a requirement for removal and protection of an affected child?
  10. J

    VIC Abusive husband has IVO on me and wants custody of our children.

    My husband has been coercively controlling me throughout our marriage. During COVID lockdown it got really bad and I needed to do something about it so I suggested we should get counselling together which he refused. At this time, I was aware he was involved with an ex girlfriend. I caught him...