Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Obtaining evidence of identity theft

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by anna choothesa, 23 June 2014.

1. anna choothesa

Hi,

There have been threats made to me regarding the existence of a bank account in Australia containing fraudulent money. One witness claims to have seen papers of the existence of this bank account.

I have been to the police to inquire about identity theft, but they say they can not help unless I have evidence of this account. I have asked for proof several times from the accusing party, but have not had a reply.

Am I able to get a court order or police statement which legally requires them to prove the evidence of the claimed they have made?

Thanks
    Anna

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Anna,
    1. Without knowing the "reliability" of the accusing party or the seriousness of their threats, you should consider making a formal complaint to the police in relation to the threats made by the accusing party.
    2. You should also consider regularly monitoring your credit file with a third party credit reporting service like Veda Advantage's My Credit File.
    Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...