NSW Major university 8 wks late releasing documents, causing loss of income

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Motma

18 September 2017
I recently moved to the UK after working as a registered nurse in NSW. In order to work in the UK, I need the University I graduated from to complete a transcript of my degree in a format required by the UK registering authority.

This is a standard request that is advertised on the University website, and it was also advertised that the process would take 6 to 8 weeks. I submitted the application however they did not forward the application to the registering authority within the 8 weeks. I have been consistently seeking updates on the status of the request since the end of the 8 week waiting period. The delays were not caused by any lack of action on my part and the University has now delayed a total of 8 weeks on top of the 8 week waiting period.

It was my intention to use the documents to get work in the United Kingdom and as a result of these delays I have not been able to seek employment. I am currently dependent on my partner while I wait for the request to be processed.

This has caused a significant financial cost (approx 8 weeks worth of nurses wages) and I do not know what my options are for recourse.

My questions are:
  1. Would it be reasonable to seek compensation for the lost income.
  2. What would be the best method to expedite the processing of the application
Any information or advice would be appreciated

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. No. The University owes you nothing in that respect.

2. That is a question for the university. There could be many reasons why the document has not been produced,
which include (but are not limited to, and may not apply in your case regardless)
fees for the document not being paid, outstanding encumberances such as old library fines,
or bungling by university staff.

3. You are hardly the first Australian trained RN to have applied.
Have been actually told by the NMC that your academic transcript,
the like of which they must have seen before, is not sufficient?