NSW Lodger Changed Locks and is Denying Executor of Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ken D

16 April 2019
My Grandmother was admitted to hospital in December 2018 and transferred to an aged care facility in January 2019 where she passed away in March 2019. There has been Lodger residing at her home for some years who has taken an AVO out on my mother, one of the Executors, when she last visited my Grandmother's home (her family home) claiming verbal assault and has now changed the locks, is refusing access to the property and its contents threatening to have an AVO taken out on any of us who go there, and is now saying he’s “going for the house” claiming he and my Grandmother were in a de facto relationship which is rubbish.

She was 92 when she passed and he is 73. She also signed a statute of declaration before passing confirming she was at best, his carer but that she was not his de facto. The NSW Police seem uninterested in assisting us, especially now he’s ‘knocked out’ one Executor of will with an AVO for 2yrs, saying it’s “his residence and we can’t just turn up there and he doesn’t have to let us in...it’s a family court matter”.

We are devastated by his disrespectful actions, shocked at the lack of Police assistance and unable to begin grieving whilst ever he remains there and denied us access whilst telling people “he’s having a garage sale”. Please help for we are beside ourselves with angst and can’t find a clear path to justice.

Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Before anything else - has there been a Grant of Probate,
and has(have) the Executor(s) been formally appointed?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get a lawyer asap, preferably someone/firm that knows both estate and family law.

Ken D

16 April 2019
Before anything else - has there been a Grant of Probate,
and has(have) the Executor(s) been formally appointed?

Hi Tim,

Application for Probate has just been submitted and the nominated Executors have been listed. Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
The reason I ask is that until Probate is actually granted,
the property vests in the NSW Trustee, and the (incoming) executor(s)
do not, until appointed, have any authority to act.

Wait until the grant, then come back to us.