real estate agents

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A real estate broker, real estate agent or realtor is a person who represents sellers or buyers of real estate or real property. While a broker may work independently, an agent usually works under a licensed broker to represent clients. Brokers and agents are licensed by the state to negotiate sales agreements and manage the documentation required for closing real estate transactions. Buyers and sellers are generally advised to consult a licensed real estate professional for a written definition of an individual state's laws of agency, and many states require written disclosures to be signed by all parties outlining the duties and obligations.
Generally, real estate brokers/ agents fall into four categories of representation:

Seller's agents, commonly called "listing brokers" or "listing agents", are contracted by owners to assist with marketing property for sale or lease.
Buyer's agents are brokers or salespersons who assist buyers by helping them purchase property.
Dual agents help both the buyer and the seller in the same transaction. To protect their license to practice, a real estate broker owes both parties fair and honest dealing and must request that both parties (seller and buyer) sign a dual agency agreement. Special laws/rules often apply to dual agents, especially in negotiating price. In dual agency situations, a conflict of interest is more likely to occur, typically resulting in the loss of advocacy for both parties. Individual state laws vary and interpret dual agency rather differently, with some no longer allowing it. In some states, Dual Agency can be practiced in situations where the same brokerage (but not agent) represent both the buyer and the seller. If one agent from the brokerage has a home listed and another agent from that brokerage has a buyer-brokerage agreement with a buyer who wishes to buy the listed property, dual agency occurs by allowing each agent to be designated as an "intra-company" agent. Only the broker himself is the Dual Agent.
Transaction brokers provide the buyer and seller with a limited form of representation but without any fiduciary obligations. Having no more than a facilitator relationship, transaction brokers assist buyers, sellers, or both during the transaction without representing the interests of either party who may then be regarded as customers. The assistance provided are the legal documents for an agreement between the buyer and seller on how a particular transfer of property will happen.A real estate broker typically receives a real estate commission for successfully completing a sale. Across the U.S. this commission can generally range between 5-6% of the property's sale price for a full service broker but this percentage varies by state and even region. This commission can be divided up with other participating real estate brokers or agents. Flat-fee brokers and Fee-for-Service brokers can charge significantly less depending on the type of services offered.

View More On
  1. T

    Commission payment after resignation/termination

    I have an employee who I hired as a commission-only Sales Director for Real Estate for 8 months, using a standard agreement. Then, we hired him as an employee using a standard employment contract, but doesn't mention about commission. Since then, we paid him as employee, and would just pay him...
  2. R

    NSW How long do I have to launch a action against a real state agent?

    I sold my house in May 2020. I had engaged a real estate agent. The exclusive real estate contract was signed in Nov 2019. The agent took a number of actions that may have breached their professional and contractual responsibilities. Without going into details on the matters, I just wanted to...
  3. P

    REIV Exclusive sales authority changes

    Hi I signed a standard REIV Exclusive Sales Authority in 2017 for the sale of a my property. The purchaser paid the deposit but two years later failed to meet the subsequent payment and after lengthy discussions, with the purchaser, the contract was terminated. The agent then forwarded me...
  4. D

    VIC Agent refuse to fog/treat belongings prior to moving out

    I have recently ended my lease with 28 days notice because the property I was renting has existing water leak/mold issues, which I was not aware of. Repairs or the lack of has been going on for about 1.5 years while I was renting and the latest mold report declares that 50% of the property has...
  5. S

    QLD Real Estate Agents and Tennants Rights

    Hi, and thank you so kindly for reading: I believe I have the rights to sue a real estate agency but don't know where to go from here. Can you recommend any pro bona lawers? I also feel doing this helps as I do not want anyone else to end up in the situation as myself. My issues are: 1...
  6. B

    VIC Part of rented property not included

    My husband and just signed a lease for a rental property, during the initial inspection we asked about the workshop out the back and were told that it would be included in the lease however they had to get a locksmith out as they had no key for it at that time. Then when I went to sign the lease...
  7. T

    SA Form 1 Requirement - Whether the agent has authority to accept an offer

    Hi Team, I have entered a Sales Agency Agreement with an agent who used a modified Sales Agency Agreement. As part of this agreement, no where in the agreement is it mentioned - whether the agent has authority to accept an offer for the land on behalf of the vendor I believe it is a...
  8. 0

    VIC Mortgagee Question: Can I but a mortgagee property direct from the bank?

    Long story short there is a property next door that has been abandoned after a drug bust and I assume there is a possibility that it might soon be mortgagee property and put up by the bank for sales or auction. Is it possible that I contact the bank prior to this and just make them an offer? I...
  9. J

    Retain funds in property purchase

    Hi there, Just after some advice if possible. My parents are selling their property and the purchaser has insisted on withholding $5000 from the purchase price to ensure the property is adequately cleaned. She originally wanted to withhold $10,000 but has compromised at $5000. She asked for some...
  10. A

    VIC Numerous signatures, not mine

    Hello, I have had my signature forged on numerous occasions, on numerous documents which are Vendor Statements and Sales Authorities. I signed one Sales Authority and I did not sign any Vendor Statements. I have previously requested the Sales Authority form as I was not provided with this when I...