QLD Inheritance from Grandparents - Can Uncle Contest the Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
3 July 2015
Hello, thanks for looking this over, I will be asking a question for my parents.
My Grandmother had three children (all aged 50+ now) when she passed she left here estate to her de facto partner.

Unfortunately recently he has passed, leaving his estate ($300,000) inheritance.

1/3 to one of my grandmother's children
1/3 the second child
1/3 to the third's two children (Nothing to the father. This was also the wishes of my Grandmother)

Now said third child has been a burden on the family his whole life. He didn't raise his children, has a drug / alcohol problem and lives off everyone's taxes. On the death of my grandfather, he thought he struck rich.
Here is the situation he is a step-child (aged 50+). My grandfather owned property in QLD. But spent the past 2 years of his life (being looked after by child 1&2) in Victoria.

Probate has been issued in QLD the the last known address in Vic
1) Can my uncle contest the will in QLD or Vic?
2) From what I understand, he stands a better chance in QLD?
3) My parents are financially secure, he is not. Does that help his case?
4) Providing for him is directly against my grandparents' wishes (the money will be gone in weeks). Does the court take this into consideration?

Sorry for the long winded question, just wanted to give as much information as possible. At the end of the day it's not huge $$, my family just doesn't want my grandparents money wasted in the legal system or worse.

Regards

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi there,

Your uncle, as a child of your grandfather (even if he is a stepchild) can contest the will by making a family provision claim. Since the probate was granted in QLD, he would probably contest it there.

Take a read of "Family Provision Claims - Contesting a Will [QLD]" for more information.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi

Sarah J has answered question 1 & 2,
The answer to question 4 in short is yes.
Question 5 as to whether he is capable of using any inheritance wisely is tricky. The court could create a trust but from what I've seen the bar to prove you have changed you ways and are responsible is not that high.
The saddest part is the cost on a $300k estate will be at least a third.

Cross you fingers he wont contest.

Reactions: Sarah J