NSW Is A Welfare Check Reasonable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lulutw

12 February 2019
I am the "live with" parent of three children (13, 9, 4). At our regular court ordered visit with the children's father, first my 13 year old refused to go. I instructed him that he had to and gave him a hug and all was well.

The children's father took our 4 year old child from my car and handed her over to his fiance. My 9 year old refused to get out of the car. She was crying and screaming that she wanted to stay with me. I tried to console her, reason with her and bribe her.

It dragged on and I suggested maybe we try again tomorrow with her. However her father made it clear that he wanted me to get her out of the car. I refused to physically force her, as I didn't think it was appropriate.

She jumped from the back to the front and back when he reached for her. He dragged her out and put her in his car. She tried to jump out twice as the vehicle was moving off with the father's fiancé driving. I thought he'd see reason and allow her to spend extra time with me until she was in a better state of mind. But his fiance drove off with the two older children.

Their father remained behind with his father who had turned up as apparently he didn't have the correct car seat for miss 4 in his vehicle. He just stood there like a door mat, not even attempting to diffuse the situation or console his grand daughter.

I called a friend to let her know what was happening as we had plans and the drop off that usually takes 5 minutes took about 30 minutes. The children's father who has a history of violent and controlling behaviour toward me marched over to my car, opened the passenger door and started yelling at me.

He was demanding to know who I was talking to. Claiming I was smiling (when I was struggling not to cry) and demanding to know why I was smiling. I told him on no uncertain terms to F-off as I was feeling intimidated and it was none of his business. I've told him repeatedly over 2 years never to touch my car - a request he completely ignored during this incident.

I was in shock and I am very worried about my daughter's emotional state. She already suffers from anxiety and attends a counselor as part of her GP initiated, mental health care plan. Her school attendance dropped to about 70% this year and last year it dropped with a pattern of "illness" before and after visits with her father.

I messaged to see how she is, but I've had no reply. Is it reasonable for me to request a police welfare check as I'm very concerned about my daughter?