I received nudes from my (ex) girlfriend 3 years ago when we were both minors. I deleted all of them the same year I got them, but I am still paranoid

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Paranoid Thoughts

6 June 2022
Under criminal law, the burden of proof is "beyond all reasonable doubt".
Prosecutors won't prosecute you if there isn't enough evidence to make a case.
In your case, if the images are deleted, they are most likely lost.
Even if they subpoena snapchat, it would take months for them to get a response, and if you marked them as deleted, they typically only stay on their servers for 100 days.
Yes, but those are the images. What about the texts we sent each other on iMessage and SMS? See below:
My worry is that we have messages from 3 years ago where we give each other "hints" of sexting as mentioned in the original post. Where she played around saying things like "Imagine if I sent you nudes" and I replied with "Haha maybe I'll send one back" (I never actually sent any nudes). We also said sexually explicit things like her saying "F**k me please" and "you're so hot" with a bunch of "sexy" emojis.

These messages weren't on Snapchat so they aren't deleted and still exist, but she didn't send any actual nude pictures through the normal messaging app, it was just "sexy texts".

I read that this could count as solicitation of CP, which is an offence even if no images were exchanged. Could such messages be used as incriminating evidence?

The only way the messages could be accessed is if law enforcement search through either of our phones some time in the future. Or if they get a subpoena for the messaging service.
Below is some information from the state law.

Taken from Crimes Act 1900 (NSW)

child means a person who is under the age of 16 years.

there is this exception:

Also, here is the part about prosecuting people under 18:
Thank you so much!

The thing is, I'm going to be in New Zealand for some time. Does this exception apply to New Zealand too? How can I know whether it does?

sammy01

27 September 2015
1. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you were a minor, as such even now you'd be charged as a minor.
2. You don't need legal advice. You need a psychologist. YUP - Like you said 'PARANOID'. Seems to me that no matter how many sane people provide with answers to show you have nothing to worry about, you keep finding reasons to worry. Let you be assured. The New Zealand police have no more interest in this that the Australian police

Paranoid Thoughts

6 June 2022
Hi @sammy01, thanks for replying.

1. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you were a minor, as such even now you'd be charged as a minor.
Thank you. What would the charge for a minor in this situation?
2. You don't need legal advice. You need a psychologist. YUP - Like you said 'PARANOID'. Seems to me that no matter how many sane people provide with answers to show you have nothing to worry about, you keep finding reasons to worry. Let you be assured. The New Zealand police have no more interest in this that the Australian police
You are probably correct. If law was not in the equation then I don't think I would be worried about this, because no moral harm was done. But, I don't think I'll be able to talk about this to a psychologist. Aren't they legally bound to report me or something?

Reactions: MissMacchiato

sammy01

27 September 2015
see there you go again. No matter what the advice - you always find a BUT.... But I can't talk to a psychologist... But I want to go to New Zealand..BUT what about sms messages... BUT BUT BUT.

MissMacchiato

27 July 2022
Your post was very specific, and your questions likewise very specific.

I‘m only new here myself, but I’m curious why someone in the US would be asking these questions in an Australian forum where all the responses are based on AU laws.

I assume you are in the US as your reference to the US First Amendment by way of example, is quite unique and not something an Australian would use as a reference in this kind of discussion.

Being a minor in possession of nude or sexually explicit images of another minor, in Australia, does not give anyone a free pass as an adult.

I had the good fortune to know a senior NSW DOCS investigator who hammered home to everyone the risk of adolescent acts between consenting minors landing them on the sex offenders registry if it was found, and prosecuted.

You‘ve had great advice from what I’ve read, but it seems like there’s always a but, or a what about this, or something else you want an absolute and concrete answer to.

Given the attention you’ve had with your post, perhaps some reciprocal information about you, such as the country you live in (since your post is on an AU site) might be warranted so that the answers your are seeking can be directly related to your real circumstances, instead of everyone giving you differing state based Australian law examples, which wastes peoples time.

I am only new myself, but even I have seen the community guidelines that ask members to put their location in their posts, which your post is lacking.

MissMacchiato

27 July 2022

What are the possible legal consequences of 'sexting'? ~ Victoria*​

A naked or sexually explicit picture or video of a person under the age of 18 years is by legal definition child exploitation material and the making, transmission and possession of such images can result in serious criminal charges.

To ensure that young people under the age of 18 years who engage in consensual 'sexting' are not treated at law the same way as a child sex offender, there have been amendments to the law in Victoria to protect young people from criminal charges in certain circumstances. These are:

1. There is no threat, fear, coercion, threat to share or sharing of the image.

2. Not more than two years age difference between the teens.

3. No adult involved.

4. No other criminal act is depicted in the image.

If these four things are present, it means that police can use an educative response rather than the criminal justice system.

Once a person turns 18, the exceptions listed above no longer apply, even if the person obtained the image when they were under 18 years of age. Penalties for the making, possessing and/or transmission of child exploitation material are very serious and can result in imprisonment and registration on the sex offenders register.

There are also two other offences related to this behaviour: Distribute an Intimate Image and Threaten to Distribute an Intimate Image. These offences are applicable to everyone, not just young people. This is where an intimate image is shared or threatened to be shared without the consent of the person depicted in the image.

The more I examine your post and responses, the more concerned I am that your post is merely for self gratification and not for any genuine purpose.

You say you were sent sexually explicit material without your consent, and deleted it.

You go on to say you took screenshots of it all. You don’t say you deleted the screenshots. Either way, the fact you took screenshots of these sexually explicit images that were sent to you doesn’t fit the narrative you’re putting forth as fact.

Why did you screenshot them? For what purpose?

Every time someone gives you cogent, reasonable responses, or points you to relevant Australian laws, you have to go back into the narrative and keep asking the same questions in different ways, and that just doesn’t ring true to me.

Also, some have suggested here that victims of child exploitation, sexting et al have culpability if the images were sent consensually. This is not true, and is part of the victim blaming ideology that permeates society and reduces sexual abuse and exploitation to consensual acts between minors. This is a slippery slope of victim blaming.

Children cannot seduce an adult, or give consent to be raped or sexually abused, and do not have affairs or sexual relationships with adults.

Likewise the parties in these kinds of circumstances as you’ve described may be consenting, but regardless of the consensual, and you say unsolicited act, there is a risk of a criminal act having been committed depending on your location and the laws of your country, and/or state or region.

Without your location, in my opinion, all of this thread is just self gratification.

*Reference: Sexting

Paranoid Thoughts

6 June 2022
Hi.
I assume you are in the US as your reference to the US First Amendment by way of example, is quite unique and not something an Australian would use as a reference in this kind of discussion.
I am currently in Australia but I will be in NZ soon, so I am wondering if the laws apply there too. I don't know exactly how the law works, I thought the First Amendment applied to Australia too.

You say you were sent sexually explicit material without your consent
No, I did not say it wasn't consensual.
You don’t say you deleted the screenshots.
Yes, I did say that, literally in the next sentence.

Please read my post, I am getting the feeling that you didn't really read it, or rather skimmed through it.
Also, some have suggested here that victims of child exploitation, sexting et al have culpability if the images were sent consensually. This is not true, and is part of the victim blaming ideology that permeates society and reduces sexual abuse and exploitation to consensual acts between minors. This is a slippery slope of victim blaming.

Children cannot seduce an adult, or give consent to be raped or sexually abused, and do not have affairs or sexual relationships with adults.
What does this have to do with what we are talking about?
There were no adults involved, there was no r**e involved, and there was no sexual abuse involved here.
Unless you were just meaning to add that as a general comment.

JedBartlet

9 March 2022
I'm not a lawyer so I wouldn't trust my opinion. For what is is worth, I wouldn't be too worried. You received them rather than send them. You never passed them on. They are only tits. You deleted them. In the grand scheme of things it is nothing. What exactly are you afraid of? I can't see you being prosecuted, losing a job or being on a sex offender register.

MDaB

10 November 2022
Gday...

Basically joined to add my opinion to this, as it is pretty cut and dry to be honest. People are giving pretty poor advice, so may explain the confusion.

If you are still paranoid about this, please let me know the State and the Month / Year this happened.

Advice I can give you now is this.

- If you are now an adult (over 18) and have images of a Child Abuse Material (Nudes of a child) you are committing the offence of Possession of Child Abuse Material.
- If you deleted them, like you mentioned you are fine.

Cheers

Last edited: